Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My 2006 Grand Cherokee 5.7 has developed a problem. ABS and

Customer Question

My 2006 Grand Cherokee 5.7 has developed a problem. ABS and Traction Control light have illuminated along with messages saying 'Electronic Braking System Fault and another, I can't recall. The car seems to drive ok in a straight line but as soon as I make a turn it seems as though a rear wheel locks and a tyre is scrubbing along with a momentary loss of drive. Whilst parking it up last night, I also noticed a hissing noise from the front underside when I had made a turn and then returned to a straight path forwards.
A few weeks ago, the ABS and Traction light illuminated with the same messages appearing but on the next start up all was ok.
My car has had a recall modification on the differential electronics about 12 weeks ago.
Can anyone help please?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please continue. I have made no headway. Thanks

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive.

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.
The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.
Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any debris.
you can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's.

Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.
This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Matt. I have just received your response.

Armed with this information, I will call my local garage in the morning and pass it on.

Regarding my rear wheel seeming to lock when I deviate from a straight path and the hissing noise from below, do you still consider that it is safe to drive there? The wheel locking effect, is as though the car is locked in 4wd.

Phil.

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hello Phil

I'd pull the ABS and VCS fuses to disable the systems and hopefully prevent the wheels locking up as thats pretty dangerous