indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

Hi, I drove my X reg jeep grand cherokee home from work

I drove my X reg jeep grand cherokee home from work today and it was fine. I took it out around an hour later, after about 2 minutes of driving slowly through my village, I heard a funny noise, like a loud click, and then whenever I revved big plumes of white smoke came out of the exhaust. The car still has the usual amount of power and drives ok, but I came straight back due to the smoke. Any ideas what this could be please?

Guy
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

EXCESSIVE WHITE SMOKE.

There are several causes for excessive white exhaust smoke.

These probable causes are:

1.Defective Fuel Pump
2.Aerated Fuel
3.Improper Valve Clearance, Worn or Damaged Camshaft Lobes and Rollers
4.Faulty Fuel Nozzle.
5.Faulty PLD-MR Control Unit
6.Improper Grade of Fuel

To determine if the fuel pump is causing excessive white smoke, perform the following steps:
1. Check fuel intake pressure upstream of fuel pump.

To determine if aerated fuel is causing excessive white smoke, perform the following steps:

1. Disconnect the fuel line return hose from the fitting located at the fuel tank; refer to
OEM guidelines.
2. Place the open end of the fuel line into a suitable container.
3. Start and run the engine.
4. Operate the engine at 1000 rpm.
5. Visually check to see if air bubbles are rising to the surface of the fuel within the container.

To determine if an improper valve clearance, worn or damaged camshaft lobes or rollers is causing excessive white smoke, perform the following:

1. Check for improper valve clearance, and worn or damaged camshaft lobes and rollers.
Repair as required.

Verify valve clearance, worn or damaged camshaft lobes and rollers repair.

To determine if a faulty fuel injector nozzle is causing excessive white smoke, perform the
following:
1. Check for faulty fuel injector nozzle; refer to section .
2. Check for faulty fuel injector nozzle repair; refer to section .
3. Verify fuel injector nozzle repair;

1. Start and run the engine.
2. Run the engine at idle with a no-load condition for approximately five minutes, allowing
the engine coolant to reach normal operating range.
3. Visually inspect exhaust for excessive white smoke.

[a] If the engine exhaust smoke emission appears normal, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.

If the engine exhaust smoke emission is excessively white, shut down the engine.
Check for faulty Control Unit.

If you still need further assistance then please don't rate, just get back to me with the reply button, and I will get back to you or inform another expert to assist
Kindest regards Greg