indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 V8 petrol

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 V8 petrol Registration Mark 37 DH Chassis No. J8G8E8NX4Y110980. The engine has suffered a mechanical failure in No 1 cylinder that also has destroyed the catylist. I have located a similar engine albeit from a 1999 vehicle Registration Mark T520 GNM, Chassis No. 1J4G8B8N9XY513398. If possible I need to confirm whether the replacement engine will be compatible with my own vehicle particularly the Engine Control Unit, and shall appreciate your advices. H W D XXXXXX.

Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

These two engine 4.7L are the same from 1999 to 2009 ,may be a slight change in engine sensor plug ins all you need to do is swap over the needed parts that have different connections .otherwize the two engine are the same.

You will find this engine in the following vehicles .

1999–2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2000–2011 Dodge Dakota
2000–2009 Dodge Durango
2002–2013 Dodge Ram 1500
2006–2009 Jeep Commander
2007–2009 Chrysler Aspen

If you still need further assistance then please don't rate, just get back to me with the reply button, and I will get back to you or inform another expert to assist.
Also there is no extra charge after accepting .
Kindest regards Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your clarification regarding the engine, although the garage fitter has flagged up the question of the Engine Control Unit, and whether the units are the same for the 1999 and 2003 model years, as apparently the 2003 model has a higher brake horse power output. Please can you indicate the parts that will have to be swapped over and have different connections.

Kind regards.

Derek XXXXXX

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Derick .

You will have to use just the long block , this is just the block and head , so all parts will have to be transferred from the newer engine to the donor engine.
Do not use the injectors from the donor engine unless you know the engine was a good runner, and not sat for a long time as the injectors tend to size if left to long unused.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have give positive replies to steps 2 and 3. Regarding 1, I have located a replacement engine together with a cat.converter, and hope this will be delivered to my garage next week.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Derek .

Any issue with this then please get back to me and i will see if i can assist .

Greg