Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Hi, Im looking at a Cherokee Orvis 2.5TD April 2001. Really

Hi, I'm looking at a Cherokee Orvis 2.5TD April 2001. Really nice vehicle inside and out, certainly the best one I've seen looks wise....but there are an awful lot of warning lights on :- ABS,Management light, airbag,Part time.Airbag could be a loose wire[ happens on my rover] and the Part time light could be a sticky switch. There is an "information"? L.E.D between the management light and airbag light, but I can't make out what it says [took some photos]. The Speedo isn't working, nor is the temperature gauge and the engine seemed to be unduly hot after about a half hour driving.Drives ok, with a little bit play on the steering.There is oil round rocker cover,which I read is common. Throughout the underneath seemed free of any "damp patches",forgot to check the floor pan for rot. Heads [3?]were changed about 3-4 years ago. It really is a nice truck and it would nice to get it up to par. The dealer said they would attend to the faults but is it going to cost stupid money to have the work done if the reoccur. Apologies for this being so long winded !
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you .

Overall , the majority of this seems to be electrical - and this can be , really, anything from a bad earth / ground, to a wiring loom fault - to, and I would say with what you have outlined, a faulty dash cluster unit.

The dash unit / cluster is a computer in itself- they do give problems and they do fail - giving symptoms such as you have. They can be sent to companies for repair / reconditioning, there are many companies that speclaise in these cluster repairs.. rather than renewal of the cluster which is expensive.

Moving on - I would stress that they need to verify the "getting hot " issue with the engine - it could just be that you are not used to it / different vehilce - but there could be an issue - I would stress that yo want to see evidence that any issues have been dealt with - or, if not, and a problem arises within a reasonable time of you owning it, you would want an agreement that the repairs, which could be very expensive, would be done FOC for you.

As the dealer is saying he will attend to all the faults you have listed, then if you are otherwise happy with it as a whole, then I would say fine - give him the opportunity - but before you hand over any money - you want to re test it / re drive it to be as happy as you can be that all has been done.. and again, ask him for evidence as to what has been done to cure the faults that it has...

I would also suggest that you ask for evidence of its history... both service wise and "history" wise - by the latter , I mean, a HPI Check - to be sure there is no undue history with it - such as insurance write off / or claims - Police interest / finance outstanding and so on. A good dealer will have done this already - its worth asking though as a great deal of cars on the road today have a "hidden history"...

- By all means let me know how you get on / or if you need anything more at all on this.....

>> Meantime >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Tech Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great Mike, thanks for the prompt reply.The dealer said they had sold the Jeep to a family friend six years or so ago. I paid a deposit as a sign of good faith on condition they attend to the work. They do offer a three month warranty on engine and gearbox etc, so I will press them about including that too. Might take a week or so to do the work so I will get an HPI check in the meantime. Will take it out on a good run when they have got the work done and make sure the temp is stable. Thanks again Mike, will give you an update later. Cheers Bob

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Bob -

Just a courtesy reply then - Im sorry not to be so prompt this time ! Just so happened that I was due off at five yesterday so missed your reply there..

Indeed let me know how you go - or if you need anything else anytime, you know where I am..

All the best with it Bob- I hope it all turns out well for you -

Kind Rgds, MIKE.