Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi i have a 2.5 diesel cherokee, it has just developed a problem,

Hi i have a 2.5 diesel cherokee, it has just developed a problem, 1. i can pull the key out and the car carries on running/driving.2. The brand new battery keeps draining when not used for a couple of day`s could this be the key is not switching off properley, i`m unsure if i need a locksmith or auto-electrition. Thanks Ed
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome Ed..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise -

Most certainly this sounds like a faulty ign unit - actually - not the whole thing but the electrical section that operates the electrics on the switching - at the back end of the ign.

This will account for the engine keeping running - and the power drain you have.. you are switching it off - but IT is not switching off inside.. even as you surmise.

You need an auto electrician for this job Ed ...not a locksmith .. or really, any local small type garage can do this for you - you don't have to use a dealer - they will fit you a new switching piece and that will cure this for you -

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.