Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

My Jeep has a grinding noise from the rear diff from a stand

My Jeep has a grinding noise from the rear diff from a stand still, only vehicle has being driven for about an hour when turning the steering wheel to the right or left.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome..

My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise you ...

This noise that you describe could be in the rear diff / axle bearings et c- but - there is a chance also that its coming from the transfer box for the 4x4 system..

Your description of the fault tends to make me think it could well be the transfer box but it will need physical checking by way of a test drive - Obviously I cannot do that but thats what they , whoever you use - and I suggest ideally someone from a 4x4 garage, will need to be looking out for..

Noises of course can be difficult for us for obvious reasons but knowing the vehicle - your description does fit with one or the other - the diff / transfer box as above....it just needs to be determined exactly which now - and again, that has to be just confirmed now as above.... An experienced 4x4 tech will know straight away between the two as above once driven..

Im very pleased to have helped you - Do let me know if you need anything more --

*** >>>> Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me - Thank you in advance for that...

You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.