indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

having problem getting revers gear

Customer Question

having problem getting revers gear forward gears fine

Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Automatic or 5 speed shifter.

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Greg, its a 55 plate 2.4 petrol Cherokee Sport, manual, it has 6 speed gear box plus reverse, the car has done 46000 miles mostly in London,the forward gears go in, no problem, but when you go to engage reverse it grates, if you wait a minute it sometimes goes in with a little grate, other times you have to really force it to go in. I am wondering if i'ts the clutch that needs replacing or has the synchromesh gone on the reverse gear?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Terry ,

If you can select reverse with the engine off then you have a synchromeshring issue
if you are having a problem also with the engine off a possible shifter fork bent or too much play .

Also known issue when one always shifts into reverse when the car is still rolling forward or accidentally shifting into reverse when another gear was wanted the internal shift assembly will damage .

Also may have a problem with the gear jumping out of reverse n some cases

Repair for this is a new Reverse gear kit , internal shift assembly.,reverse gear in reverse syncro sleeve,blocker ring , this can be bought as a kit ,it part No. 05175903AA.

Still having problem, then please get back to me for further assistance please use the reply button and not the poor or bad service ,this way i can get back to you or refer you to another expert if needed. After accepting you can still get back to me and there is no further charge

Kindest regards Greg.