indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,

I own a 1993 US import Cherokee XJ 4.0, two door, left

I own a 1993 US import Cherokee XJ 4.0, two door, left hooker which I keep in Italy. The electric cooling fan used to run on for a period of time after I switched off the (hot) engine, before cutting out automatically. It then developed a problem and would not cut out until it flattened the battery. I had a look around and found an electrical snap connector attached to the back of the fan housing, which enabled me to stop the fan running by unsnapping the connector. This stopped the battery getting flattened but obviously wasn't good for the engine. So I took the Jeep to my local garage in Tuscany thinking it just needed a change of relay/sensor. They fitted a new temperature sensor into the cooling system at the front of the engine and the electric fan now cuts out immediately I switch off the engine, which is obviously not right. The Jeep now runs hot when driving up the mountain road to my home in 4WD and to stop it going into the red, I have to put the heating/fan on high, which returns the temperature to normal. Thank you for your help, Tim
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tim,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would have thought this was pretty basic stuff and I would like an answer. Thank you.

Hello Tim,
Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
However, should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I find this quite unbelievable.This is not a complex matter and you can find no one to address it.

I want an answer and will not accept a withdrawal of my charges.

Tim Elster

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I am amazed by the poor service I have received from you. I have asked a relatively simple question and you apparently cannot find anyone to answer it. I suggest you try very much harder! Tim Elster
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hi Tim Elster.

The replacement of the engine coolant sensor was the fix for the Fans switching on and off , when you switch the engine off this will also cut the fans off so this is working good .

When you put your engine under load this is making it overheat .

Now a few items could cause this ,first no idea when this car was last worked on or what has been replaced in the past .

First you will have to check that the thermostat is opening fully if not this will cut down the flow and make the engine hot when under load.

Water pump on these are very well common for the impeller to rust away and produce a bad flow , so check this if never been checked .

Now was the radiator ever removed and professionally cleaned ,flushing will not clean radiators then have to be open and pipe cleaned.

Electric fans will come on when the engine temp reaches 190f (88c) or if the air conditioner is on .

If there is any problem with the fan circuitry the PCM will flag a malfunction code .

So if all is working as it should then have the coolant system checked for Co2 leaks,
you may have a small cylinderhead gasket leak. worth having this checked .

Please get back to me with the reply button and not the poor or bad service so i can get back to you with further assistance with this issue .

Kind regards Greg
indy-tech, Technician
Experience: Jeep tech ,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg, thank you for your helpful response. I would just like to clarify one point. I thought the electric cooling fan should run on for a period of time after the hot engine has been switched off so that the engine gets the benefit of continued cooling for a period after being switched off.You seem to be saying the electric cooling fan should NOT run on at all after the engine has been switched off when hot. I am pretty sure that until recently, the electric cooling fan used to run on for a period of time after switching off the engine, and would then cut out automatically after a few minutes. The fault then developed and it would run on and on until it exhausted the battery. Your advise is much appreciated. Tim

Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim

Yes it would as you said, but this will have to be a very hot engine ,this is why the coolant sensor was changed ,with the new one now working correctly ,but if the engine got to the stage that the fan stays on a few minutes then check the thermostate.
Has to be very hot for it to come on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Greg, final email from me.I believe the engine is reaching the kind of temperature where the electric cooling fan should stay on for a period of time after the engine is switched off - but it isn't. Is that likely to be a fault with the new temperature sensor or a relay somewhere? I plan to change the thermostat and replace the water pump as the engine is a beaut and I don't want to damage it. The radiator has been flushed but I will check that over again. If the needle of the temperature gage is in the mid/normal position, should the electric cooling fan run when I switch off the engine? Thank you for your help. Tim

Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
mp sensor Hi Tim .

Now if a OE coolant sensor was not used then this will cause problems ,never had any luck with aftermarket temp sensors on the chrysler vehicles .

Make sure you don't get the wrong waterpump there are two types a left and right rotaion
One is with the serpentine belt and the other is for the v grove belts .

The fan will switch on at 190f (88c) and when it drops below should switch off the fan .

When the needle is 3/4 then ther fan may switch on .normal operating temp the fan will not stay on when engine switched off.

Rgds Greg