indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,

Have a 3.1 td year 2000. The rear crank oil seal has been replaced

Customer Question

Have a 3.1 td year 2000. The rear crank oil seal has been replaced 3 times now but still leaks. At my wits end. The crank seems fine, no scoring, burrs or grooving and no excessive endfloat. Any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still waiting

Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Was an original crank seal used from Chrysler/jeep .

Are you 100% sure the seal is leaking, if it is there is in the recess where the oil seal sits a leak off oil hole where the return oil flow, if this is blocked then the oil is forced by the good seal so you can change this as many times as you want and it will still leak unless the oil hole is cleared with high pressure air .when this is cleared then the new seal can be fitted .

Its also known the the crank bolt holes let engine oil though if no sealer liquid is used to seal the bolt threads .

Please get back to me if you need further assistance with this issue But please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Sounds promising. Will give it a try

Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.

Need any further assistance, then you are free to get back to me anytime.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any chance of a diagram to show where this leak hole is?? I spoke to my Jeep mechanic and he doesn´t know anything about that.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Where the seal sitsand just on the inside of this is a run off hole where the oil runs, if this is blocked it will get by the seal .

Also as said where the flex bolts are fitted must be fitted with a thread sealer .also a common issue for leaks as shown in the photo in the post above .