Mike
Mike, Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

A lot of oil is coming out from the side of no5 injector there

Customer Question

a lot of oil is coming out from the side of no5 injector there is no lack of power in fact the motor is running as normal as it ever has starts first time no change there no extra noise the only way I found out was oil that is dripping from the back of the engine a lot of oil and it is engine oil and not diesel.
my motor is a well maintained 2.7 grand jeep Cherokee 2002'
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help you.
As you are saying the oil is coming from the area of no. 5 injector - and its oil not fuel, then it will be coming from the bottom brass / copper seal on the base of the injector.
This seal ( 'O' ring type ) is for that exactly - to seal the injector in the threaded hole to stop the engine oil from the inside of the engine coming out..
You can try nipping up the injector - some do work loose.. but if its not that - a new seal will be needed to cure this issue...
Let me know how you get on - or if you need anything else at all...
Kind Rgds - MIKE.
...Meantime..............Please do click on the "OK/ Excellent ratings" for me as that's how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that...
You can and are most welcome to get back to me anytime you might need - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all..
Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mike

hi first thing I did was to change seal in fact I have replaced it twice just in case I had a faulty one plus where the seal seats in the head is clean and free from any dirt ,if oil is getting past the seal shouldn't the diesel be getting past as well, is there a sealer I can use its a pain dropping this engine, its such a shame I do 70 miles a day it runs lovely even with this leak, my wife says tie a tray underneath the engine to catch the oil and recycle it, sense of humour my wife has .

regards

dave

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Dave -

Thank you for your reply - Sorry I wasn't on late Sat -or Sunday..

Ok - the first thing to mention is , was the seal ( were the seals ) you replaced, genuine OE ones from the Jeep parts suppliers.. if not, aftermarket ones can be problematic.. so do that and that would cure it.

If its not that as the issue - then logically the next issue that would cause this would be worn / damage to the part on the injector in question where it sits in the head...and / or, in / on the aperture of the head where the injector goes in. These have to be perfect - even a slight amount of damage / wear on the injector or aperture howsoever caused, would cause seepage of oil - and yes to some extent diesel - but it mixes to its hard to tell which is which if you see what I mean.. What you would really need to do is remove the injector and inspect it and the hole really really carefully for issues as above. See there is a great deal of compression in those cylinders so even the smallest amount issue will cause a leak as you describe. I do believe you will find one or the other to be the issue - the injector or the aperture... you may need a diesel specialist to help you there.. Even a fault on the injector - this happens to in that they leak.

The only other thing that can cause this is excess wear in the bore - cylinder bore and / or piston rings - the oil control rings for example on that piston being worn ...but I would expect you to have said there is blue smoke out the exhaust - just some - especially on start up.. So check on that - if thats there - thats a possibility. If its not - then you are back to the above.

The other thing to mention is , it may not be engine oil -leaking diesel at the injector / to th e injector... diesel leaking is sometimes obvious but on a dirty engine it mixes and can look like an oil leak - whereas its diesel ... so do just bear this in mind.

One way or the other you will find the root cause to be one of the above David... Im sorry I cant be specific not seeing it - but it can only be one or the other - or a mix of the above.

Again, let me know how you go..

-- Please do do the rating for me Dave at this time.. Thank you in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --

By the way - the oil recycling is a good idea.. but I didnt say that !

Best Rgds, MIKE.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello again Dave -
Im just checking back with you as I notice you have not yet viewed my reply / answer to you as above ..
I hope all is well with you .. Do let me know if I can help anymore at all - Im always happy to do that -
-- Please don't forget meantime to click on the OK ratings for me Dave - Thank you..
All the very best -- MIKE.