Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

97 2.5 crd grand Cherokee I need to remove the alternator to

Customer Question

97 2.5 crd grand Cherokee I need to remove the alternator to have it checked for not charging I have difficulty seeing how to release tension on auto matic adjuster do I have to take fan shroud and viscous fan off to take belt off thanks in anticipation Dennis
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello the automatic tensioner will swing back to allow you to remove the beltif you look at this image you'll see where the spanner / tool is on the tensioner pulley so you need a breaker bar and the correct sized socket to then try and tighten the pulley bolt this will move the pulley away from the belt so you can slip it off the pulleys
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.