Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a Jeep Cherokee Classic purchased new by

Customer Question

Dear Sir,
I have a Jeep Cherokee Classic purchased new by myself and first registered 1st December 2000.
The present mileage is 54745 miles. The vehicle has been regularly serviced twice a year. The last service being on 30th October 2015. The vehicle has always performed well and there appears to be nothing wrong with it but after the last two services the Malfunction Indicator Light part of an on board diagnostic system which monitors the emissions and engine control systems remains on. It does usually extinguish itself after the ignition has been turned on about seven times and then all has been well between services? It does however cause me some anxiety. The dealer from where I purchased the vehicle has closed down since when I have had the vehicle serviced privately. The main dealer I have recently contacted said "he would get back to me in fifteen minutes" I am still waiting for his phone call. Can you help or advise please?
Thanking you in anticipation, David Mokes.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello David,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection. The fault can be something quite simple and nothing that’s going to stop the car to something quite major that will reduce engine power and possibly stop the engine The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious. You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.