romee619
romee619, Mechanic
Experience:  Let my online troubleshooting skills speak for themselves!
61287765

My 2000 MY Grand Cherokee 4.0 auto gearbox cycles in and out

Customer Question

My 2000 MY Grand Cherokee 4.0 auto gearbox cycles in and out of overdrive when I am out on the open road. It used to go into o/drive with a mighty lurch and a drive shattering bang unless I took my foot off the gas at the right time. This stopped about 1500 miles ago and now it wont stay in gear.
I can switch it in and out of overdrive with the gearstick button OK.
It feels like there is a problem with the `lock-in` or something like that.
Is the box repairable or scrap?
Vehicle has done 131k
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Is the O/D light ON or flashing .
Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running .
Did you ever check for malfunction codes .
Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Greg,
O/D light is not on nor is it flashing. It only comes on when I press the O/D button on the shift lever.
The `perform service` message on the overhead console sometimes comes on when I first start up then quickly goes out.
I do not have facilities to interrogate fault codes.
Sorry, not v helpful. I`m afraid.
Somebody told me about a clutch in the gearbox, that performs the `lock-in` for the O/D, cracks and fails to perform correctly - could it be this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I realise we are talking about a 15 year old vehicle here with considerable miles on the clock but I would like to ascertain if it is worth persevering with or to cut my losses and exit left!!
Expert:  indy-tech replied 2 years ago.
Hi . When i get into work i will send you a test sheet on how to check for codes .And give you other possible options on what your problem maybe . Rgds Greg