indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

Cherokee 2.8 CRD Sport. The malfunction indicator light came on last week then went off.

Customer Question

Cherokee 2.8 CRD Sport.
The malfunction indicator light came on last week then went off. it has now returned and stayed on.could you please advise .
Alan Dye
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Hi Alan .
When the check engine light comes on then this means the management system has encountered a malfunction with in the injection and emission system.
As long as the light is not flashing then you may keep driving the jeep until you have time to get it to your repair shop and hook her up to a diagnostic scan tool .
The diagnostics will check for malfunction codes (this is what set the light ON) from the diagnostic codes then you will know what has failed and then be able to go ahead and check/repair or replace this.
If the repair is correctly carried out then the check engine light will also go out and stay out .
ECU has to be cleared/reset of malfunction codes after the repair ..
Most common on your Jeep is a P0700 code which is transmission related .
Still need additional information then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg,
Thanks again for your reply. I have since been out in the car and accelerated hard to clear out the system, as advised. I parked the car and came back to it after about an hour. When I restarted the light went out and has been out for 3 days. Have you heard of this before? I wondered if it was because it was standing at a dealership foe a while.
Alan Dye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As above