indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

Hiya I have a Jeep Cherokee reg 55 plate. It has recently

Hiya
I have a Jeep Cherokee reg 55 plate. It has recently had a new gearbox in and suddenly the car doesn't start. It sounds like the battery is dead but the lights work - any ideas
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi Angie .

Which engine do you have fitted petrol or diesel .

Do you have the use of a diagnostic scan tool .

Does the engine crank over ...but not start.

Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HiyaThe engine is 2776cc and it is Diesel and it was registered 2005 not 2006.I do not have the use of a diagnostic scan tool. The first time it was diagnosed by Jeep (01/03/2017) these were the faults
Airflow sensor
skim key
EGR
brake switch correlation
injector 1.When it broke down the relay man diagnosed the following:
PO 700 / Ttransmission
PO 504 Breakswitch ABThe garage has stated that the gearbox is new and they also stated that they did the breakswitch and Injector.When I try and switch it on it goes thud thud thud (just like if I hit the computer with my fingers)I am aware that when I switch on I wait until all lights (excepy EML) to go off before I start the car but the ABS light does not go out now either (it used to do before)Hope this helpsAngie

Hi Angie .

So the starter motor is also not turning the engine .

Is the car still at the repair shop ,

Greg

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hiya. Nope the car is on my drive. It sounds like the starter motor is faulty

So everything worked when you picked up the car .

Check and see how many volts you have at the battery with a voltmeter , a fully charged battery will have 12.6 + volts .

Then with the voltmeter still connected to the battery have a second person try and start and take note of the voltage does it drop or stay steady. stays steady replace starter motor .

If the Battery voltage is below 12 volts charge battery and then try and start ,you may just have a low charged battery

causing you this issue .

If this is the case and the engine starts with the recharged battery check the voltage at the battery with the engine running you should have around 14volts is 13.4 and lower have alternator tested .

If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i/we will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Before rating poor or bad please get back to me as i'm here to help you and if i can't i will opt out so another expert can , we want you to be happy and have your problem sorted out and be a happy motorist .
After rating there is no further cost for any other question relating to this problem
Kind regards Greg..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HiyaThe garage is picking up the car as they stated that they may have done something when they put the gearbox in. Thank you for your help must admit cars are not my expertise and it would appear that when Jeeps go wrong - they go wrong.BTW I do not have a volt meter its not something I would have.Thank you for your help