indy-tech
indy-tech, Technician
Experience:  Jeep tech ,
29331485

I have a 2007 jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel. and it wont

Customer Question

I have a 2007 jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel. and it wont start. It was getting bad for starting, but now the colder weather has arrived, it just wont start. lots of white smoke (not steam) on cranking (and lots more on start up when it was starting).Have changed fuel pump, a few months ago. no oil in water (or visa-versa).As I say it was starting eventually, up to today. Runs fine when starts. Perfect performance and no smoke that I can see, while running.Any help out there.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  indy-tech replied 18 days ago.
White smoke in the exhaust on start up is typical water/coolant burning in the combustion chamber. Looking like a cylinder head gasket failure .
When a gasket fails you don’t always have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Do a coolant Co2 test to confirm head gasket failure.
Other possible options is bad glow plugs have them tested . Is the check engine light on when the engine was running. Check for malfunction codes. This engine has a common issue with glow plugs and glow plug control unit .
Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me anytime.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The smoke has been there for a while. I get it on cranking, not just when it fires up. Could this still be water vapour? The water level has not dropped.
There is no engine check light on. Occasionally, after not using the vehicle for a while, I had got the red lightening symbol (electronic throttle issues I think, but that seems to have gone away with regular use). No other warning lights or fault codes. where is the glow plug control unit located?Thanks,mark.
Expert:  indy-tech replied 18 days ago.
Ok this could be just condensed water in the exhaust .if it was a gasket you would have coolant loss and need topping it off now and again .
To check the glow plugs you need to hook up a diagnostic scan tool and go into the glow plug system and do a few activation test etc .glow plug ecu is on the front top end of the Engine on the right side cylinder .
Remove the engine plastic cover to gain access to the unit ,
Regards Greg