Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

KIa Cerato 2005 model, diesel. The gears get stuck when driving.

Customer Question

KIa Cerato 2005 model, diesel. The gears get stuck when driving. Have to then pull over, what is the likely problem and cost of fixing?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
When you say the gears get stuck,do you mean the vehicle will not change gears?
Also is this a automatic or manual?
Any warning lights coming on at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The car is a manual.

No warning lights.

You are driving along, say in 3rd gear, but it happens in all gears. You depress the clutch to change gears, up or down. The gear stick will not move and you get stuck in that gear.

If you double the clutch and force the gear stick, it will change gear sometimes. More often, you have to pull over. I am trying to establish what the problem is, what the solution might be

Ok,the issue that you are describing is consistent with a failing clutch release bearing that is causing the gears to do this. The bearing itself cost about $75.00 unfortunately the gearbox has to be removed in order to replace this which will call for about 4 hours of labor,the labor would depend on the repair facility's hourly labor rate.