Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2006 manual transmission kia rio with 37000 on the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 manual transmission kia rio with 37000 on the clock. This morning on the way home from a trip to the vet the car suddenly stopped going into gear. When the car was stopped and the engine was turned off it was possible to take the car out of gear and it was possible to go through all the gears in turn. But when I restarted the car I had the same problem of it not going into gear. The clutch pedal is not 'coming up' to biting point and does not seem to have 'free' movement. The car was running fine yesterday and first thing this morning- it literally happened on the return trip home. Can you tell me if it is a problem with the clutch itself or is it something else?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

You say the pedal doesn't move freely..I assume the pedal is stiff or just become slack?

Have noticed any fluid around the footwell up near the clutch pedal or any fluid leaking from under the car around the gearbox?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I put my foot on the pedal it depresses but does not come back up again. I haven't noticed any fluid either in or out of the car.
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for getting back..

Ok..the first checks really to make in regards to this fault would on the clutch control side itself.These can vary in wether they are hydraulically operated or cable operated you will need to verify which of the two it is..but the check is basically the same..If its cable then you need to see wether the cable has indeed snapped.so tracing from the clutch pedal itself up in the pedal box ensuring the retrun spring is still in place - to the gearbox clutch fork will need to be checked to see if the cable has stretched or snapped.if ist hydraulic then sometimes if the master cylinder has failed then you will have a sure sign of clutch fluid "basically the same fluid as brake fluid as they share the same reservoir" leaking down from behind the clutch pedal.If the slave cylinder has gone then again fluid will be seen leaking from around the gearbox/bellhousing..so that would certainly be the best area to have checked.if these are all ok as far as you can tell then faults going to be with the clutch assembly im afraid..But like I say above have the clutch operating side checked first and see what is found.if you cant check this yourself then im sure any good reputable mobile mechanic/or local garage who can come out - if the car is at home will be able to verify this for you by checking what I mentioned above..I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would it be possible for you to give me a rough estimate of how much this work might cost-I would really appreciate it.
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for getting back..

The intial check shouldnt take that long to figure out which area of the two is at fault so you maybe looking at no more than half hour to check that I would imagine..As it stands at the moment it would fairly hard to be specific on pricing as we simply don't know which area is or been found to be faulty.added to that a lot of garages through out the UK tend to charge differently which can make it even harder - of course to we don't want to or wouldn't want to mislead you - but once you have it checked out and confirmed so to speak then we maybe in a better position to give an estimate.and your more than welcome to come back and continue here if you need ask anything further on that...

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..there..

I see recently you have viewed your answer recently.and just wondered if you required any further help?

If you need to follow up or ask anything else ? then you are always more than welcome too and continue on the same question should you need to ask anything else...if not and your happy with the answer then please dont forget to rate my answer if you havent done so already..

Regards[Robert]