Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Hyundai and Kia tech
29331485

MY 55 PLATE KIA SPORTAGE CRDI KEEPS JUMPING OUT OF FIRST GEAR

Customer Question

MY 55 PLATE KIA SPORTAGE CRDI KEEPS JUMPING OUT OF FIRST GEAR WHEN STARTING OFF AND IS STIFF PUTTING INTO GEAR IN FIRST BUT OK IN OTHER FORWARD GEARS, IT ALSO GRINDS WHEN PUTTING INTO REVERSE, LOCAL GARAGE SAYS IT MAY BE CLUTCH TROUBLE AND COULD COST FROM £500 - £1000 TO PUT RIGHT
Category: Kia
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

This is not a clutch issue but in fact a syncro ring on the first gear ,when you have problems selecting a gear and jumps out when starting off then this is a syncro ring .

You can hold the shifter in 1st with your hand and all is good, until you let go and accelerate ..

Sadly this is a open up and repair for this transmission and could cost just as much if not more than replacing the clutch ..

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer.It is only when I select first gear to start off that it seems to come out of gear, it is hard to put into gear, sometimes grinding, once in gear it is fine and when moving down the gears, while the car is moving, it will go into first gear ok. If I put it into first gear, engaging the clutch and starting the engine while in gear it is ok and doesn't grind or jump out. Also the reverse gear is grinding and hard to put into gear, this also is ok if I start the car while in gear, this doesn't jump out it is just stiff and grinds sometimes. A friend said something about a fork selector being bent and not allowing the gears to mesh properly.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jack ..

Thank you for getting back ..

For a gear that keeps jumping out :.

A bent fork is also a possibilitybut most likely the bad poppet spring which is part of the shift fork .

graphic
graphic

And for a hard to engaging gear would be as i said sync rings or sync ring spring .

Check the poppet ring first ..

And what ever the problem the transmission will have to come out and opened up to see what has gone bad ..

Rgds Greg

Greg, Technician
Experience: Hyundai and Kia tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your reply, got more trouble now, was pulling away from top of hill when felt gearstick go slack, kept going but couldnt change gear, it is stuck in first now, had to drive home, around mile and half, in first gear. No other gears, no reverse and I have to stop and start the car in gear.

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Jack ..

Lift the bonnect and on the back side of the transmission check the cable fixtures looks like they may have broke of at the C clips

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Jack I've ringed the areas that should be checked the front cables under the hood are the most common issue so check here first .

Rgds Greg