Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi there My Kia sportage 2007 just cut on motorway

Customer Question

Hi there
My Kia sportage 2007 just cut out on me on the motorway around 80mph the other day. It was really over in about 1 min the first think I noticed was it started reducing in speed then warning lights battery first but they all came on just after that. I got it to the side off the road and tried to start it again but it wouldn't even turn over just a fast clicking sound, then the batt just lost all power lights and central locking went mental. Since then the batt has been charged and has held a charge fine. Also the starter has been changed as positive feed was put on the existing one and was not turning over and it will still not start. The mechanic looking at it seems to think something is wrong with the gear box or engine. What's your thoughts? Also every time I try to start it, it runs the bat down.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The vehicle is currently spinning over just not starting correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Am just back from seeing my machanic that has been looking at the car it looks like one of the piston rings has went when you look up the "bore" I believe you call it, you can see a lot of swarth and it black compared to the other 3. He believes I need a new engine. What's your thoughts on this?
Yes when using the boroscope to look in the cylinder if he is seeing a difference in this cylinder this would indicate that a piston ring broke or the head has dropped a valve which is more common.Either way it is going to be cheaper to replace the engine than to try to repair it as the cost of a rebuild is exspensive.