Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi. I have a Kia Sorento 2007 XS model, manual, diesel. Recently

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Kia Sorento 2007 XS model, manual, diesel. Recently had 2 new tyres fitted and since then the gear box has started making the odd " clonking" noise. Does not happen all the time, mainly when slowing down, foot of the accelerator. Generally seems to have more gearbox noise and to feeling right. Is this something to do with the tyres? There is definitely more tread on the new tyres. Should I replace the other tyres?

Appreciate any help

Fergus
Category: Kia
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Fergus,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will wait for your reply- I have paid for it.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

From what you are describing and the fact that this issue started after the new tires were installed this is a tire issue. The likely fix to this problem is to have the other tires replaced and this will take the additional strain off of the gear box.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply. Can you explain why this has happened. I have changed my tyres before (not the full set) and never had this problem before.

Look forward to your response.

I believe the issue is the speed rating of the new tires is not the same as the old tires and that is what causes this issue.