Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Hyundai and Kia tech
29331485

Having problem with my 04 reg Kia Sorento ignition, turns over

Customer Question

Having problem with my 04 reg Kia Sorento ignition, turns over but doesn't start first time all the time, problem is intermittent. Have replaced crank shaft sensor, fuel filters, it's had a full service, when plugged in is not showing any faults but fuel pressure is taking a long time to get up to where it should be. Have put injector cleaner through it also, on Monday battery went flat on trying to turn it over and hard to bump start it, any ideas what problem could be?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Name is Greg,

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

You answered your own question . if the fuel pump is needing time to get to pressure then replace the fuel pump .

What i suggest you try first to confirm this is jump the connections on the diagnostic connector as shown and wait 10 seconds (ignition switch to ON) .

This will build up the fuel pressure ,then start if the engine catches and starts up normal replace the fuel pump.

If you could redo a fuel pressure test and it takes longer than 2 seconds to get to pressure replace the pump .

After replacing the pump you have to prime the fuel pressure by jumping the system as shown above before starting .

Need further assistance then please get back to me .

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg