Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Hyundai and Kia tech
29331485

The clutch bite height has lowered on my 2007 Sportage, it

Customer Question

The clutch bite height has lowered on my 2007 Sportage, it wass never very good from new. It is still working correctly but engages very low to the floor. Tried bleeding using the pedal only but air still seemed to be coming out. Should the system be pressure bled or any other advice? Thanks
Category: Kia
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

If you pump the clutch pedal a few times does the bite height
get higher .

How many miles do you have on this car.

Was the clutch ever replaced in the past ?

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The clutch has never been replaced and the mileage is 90k. Yes the pedal does come up slightly when pumped.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Barry .

Okay as you thought you have air in the system , flush the fluid completely and then bleed with new DOT3 fluid.

Bleed the system this way and no pumping .

1 Press clutch pedal in fully and hold.

2 Open the bleed screw to allow fluid to escape.

3 Close bleed screw quickly.

4 Release pedal completely

5 Top off fluid in reservoir. Leave cap off of reservoir.

6 Repeat steps 1 to 4 no less than 10 times before going to 7 below. NO PUMPING!

7 Now purge the slave cylinder of any air bubbles that might be trapped inside of it.

8 Grab the clutch fork and push towards the slave cylinder pushing the rod all of the way into the slave cylinder as far as it will go AND HOLD it in.

9 open bleed valve and command helper to push the clutch down slowly purging any air that was trapped in the slave cylinder

10 As soon as the pedal hits the floor command your bleeder monkey to close the valve before you let the pedal return from the floor.

11 Repeat steps 1 to 4 one last time and proceed to the clutch reality check.

Need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you familiar with the Sportage. The slave cylinder on this model sits within the clutch housing and acts directly on the release bearing.

However further examination suggests the problem is a faulty master cylinder. I have one on order and will hopefully fit it this afternoon.

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Barry .

Correct the newer models have the centric slave cylinder .

When you get the new master cylinder bench bleed first then fit and then bleed as said above except 7 to 10 ,

Rgds Greg