Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

WE HAVE A KIA SEDONA 2.9 DIESEL GF02 UGY, IT WILL NOT PASS

Customer Question

WE HAVE A KIA SEDONA 2.9 DIESEL GF02 UGY, IT WILL NOT PASS 3000 REVS IT IS AUTOMATIC AND CHANGES THRU GEARS IF U LIFT GAS PEDAL AND THEN DRIVE AS NORMAL ON THE FLAT, TO GO UP HILLS ON DEMAND IT DROPS TO LOWER GEAR BUT WILL NOT GO ABOVE 3000 REVS, WE HAVE CHECKED FLUIDS, CHANGED TURBO AND FUEL FILTER, AIR FILTER, ACCELERATER PEDAL & SWITCH, CHECKED VACUNM LINES ETC BUT IT SEEMS TO BE GOVERNED TO 3000 REVS NO MATTER WHAT WE DO, PLEASE HELP, many thanks

Category: Kia
Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Name is Greg, My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Is the check engine light ON when the engine is running ,

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, we checked this out.

Frank

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Frank.

Okay this sound like the typical issue i see in my shop ,disconnect the MAF sensor then start the engine do a test drive then and let me know if the problem improves and can get higher rev's .

Greg.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Greg, I've done as suggested but no joy.

Frank

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Frank .

What ever gear you are in it will not go over 3000rpm .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg, That's correct. It appears to have kickdown but it still holds at 3000revs. Is there a safety mechanism that's not releasing?

Frank

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.

Frank this is sure to be a fuel restriction ,

Try using a fuel can of good diesel and feed this direct to the pump and test drive , cut off the fuel tank supply.i want to see if we have a restriction from the tank to the pump .

Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg, In desperation I put the car into a specialist diesel workshop. They put it on their diagnostic system and found several errors in the computer memory. These are now rectified and the car goes like a rocket. Thanks for your help but I obviously couldn't have done it myself.

Yours Frank

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Hi Frank do you know what was the problem .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Greg, The list of errors follows:-

PO190 Rail pressure sensor opencircuit/positiveshort

PO220 Accelerator pedal position sensor 2 short to B+

P1140 Ambient air temperature sensor open circ:/positive short

PO101 Hot-film air mass meter open circ:/earth short

PO100 Hot-film air mass meter signal too small

P1611 Immobilizer control unit error in data transfer

PO120 Accelerator pedal position sensor 1 open circuit/earth short

PO226 Accelerator pedal position sensor incorrect signal

so as you can see this was not an easy problem to get to the bottom of. The previous owners said it had always driven like this but as they only needed it for work they weren't worried!!!

Thanks anyway

Frank

Expert:  Greg replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Frank, have a great Sunday .

And thank you for using Justanswer.

Happy motoring ..