Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Hi. I recently bought a kia picanto, 2004 model.twice now I

Hi. I recently bought a kia picanto, 2004 model.twice now I 'very had problems , after dropping speed on bypass because of slow traffic,to accelerate the car whilst on a gentle incline. Or I may have been going at average motorway speed, but with the gentle incline, my engine lost power and when this happened, I changed down the gears to try and accelerate until I got down to second gear but I didn't get car to accelerate.. I cannot honestly remember which of the two above scenarios. It happened again today, I am not quite sure whether I stopped the car or whether the engine cut out.(can this happen?), or both.i had to be towed away to garage.there was a distinct burning smell when this happened which soon disappeared .no warning lights had come on whilst driving.the car worked perfectly fine when I drove off again from the garage.when this happened the first time, I put it down to me having to get used to car with small engine size, but now I think it has to do with something being faulty.have read a lot about flat spots and defective crankshaft pulleys in older kia models, could this be the problem?if you could give me some pointers....car is still under 3 month warranty, do I get them to inspect the crankshaft, which I believe is not straightforward to do?i drive around with 2 small children in the back and today could have got us killed it was a terrifying experience.also, I'm worried that I might have damaged the engine by trying to accelerate fairly fiercely.should I be worried? Should I get it booked into garage as soon as possible and avoid driving car until it has been checked out?in your opinion, is this likely to be a fault with me driving the car or the car itself?even that would be helpful to know.are other people experiencing the same type of problem when switching to this type of cara.
thank you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

The issue that you are having is consistent with a mechanical failure of the vehicle and nothing that you are doing wrong.
These vehicles did have issues with the crankshaft pulley not turning the crankshaft fast enough to be in sequence with the camshaft which in turn has the vehicle not in time and causes your issue. The fix was to replace the crankshaft and this solves the issue.
I am also a warranty inspector for extended warranty companies and what I would suggest is to stop driving the vehicle and book it in for repair or else the warranty company can deny the claim due to continued operation in a failed state.