Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

i have a kia sedona ts crdi est 2902cc 07 plate. my front disc

Customer Question

i have a kia sedona ts crdi est 2902cc 07 plate. my front disc pads have been replaced 3 times in the last year (average life span 5000 miles) Is this normal for this vehicle , my garage cannot understand why this happening???

can somebody please advise.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.

The reason that the pads would wear out at this rate is because the front brake calipers are applying to much pressure or the master cylinder is starting to fail and is applying to much pressure.
The calipers would be more common to cause this problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry for slow response but went to see my garage with your comments. They have advised me that the calipers are all free. the excess wear is on the offside front (very bad) and the near side rear not so bad. They have been reluctant to replace the master cylinder as car has only done some 52000 miles. (i assume this is quite expensive to do ) They believe this is a design fault with kia cars as they had this problem with other models. please comment.

This issue is not a issue with a design flaw with the vehicle, I believe this problem lies with the master cylinder as this is where the brake calipers gets there pressure from.
Let me know if you need further assistance, thank you.