Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a kia sportage 2005 auto after about 5 miles I get awful

Customer Question

I have a kia sportage 2005 auto after about 5 miles I get awful vibrating shudder where the car seems to hold back, and give a lot of gear changes with no pulling power, now and then I get a clunk when changing gears.
thank you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From what you are describing the issue that you are having is consistent with the torque converter overheating and resulting in the issue that you are having, this is a common issue on these vehicles. I am also a warranty inspector and I have inspected this issue often.
The fix is that the torque converter would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi mike is this converter a major job where gearbox will have to be stripped, and will there be other parts have to be replaced. people are on about bits in gearbox,and filters and stuff bit lost with it all and prices im getting quoted for doing job.can you recommend anyone to do job.

To replace the converter the gear box has to be removed, the converter will be the only part that has to be replaced other than filling the system back up with fluid.