Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Hyundai and Kia tech
29331485

I have a 2007 KIA Sedona 2.9 diesel. Engine light comes on

Customer Question

I have a 2007 KIA Sedona 2.9 diesel. Engine light comes on if I accelerate up hills. It will then cut out. I can restart within seconds (still moving). When I stop and restart the engine light is on. If I stop a second time the engine light goes off until I accelerate again. If I stay below 2500 rpm the fault doesn't occur. Incidentally the battery needs a recharge if I don't drive for a couple of days. Help!
Category: Kia
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Find an independent shopthat has the diagnostic tool for your car so they can do a diagnostic scan for malfunction codes , from the codes you will then know what your problem is .

Now if the check engine light is switching on when the engine is running then the management system has encountered a malfunction and stored a code for you so you know what was causing you this issue ..

When was the last inspection where the filters where replaced as this is a fuel delivery issue by the sounds of it .

Could be any of many control sensors for the fuel system .

Find a good shop and get a second opinion ..

Please get back to me for further assistance with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service button this way i can help you or suggest another expert .
Kind regards Greg

Greg, Technician
Experience: Hyundai and Kia tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can the battery problem contribute to the problem! What is the likelihood of the injectors truly needing replacing and how specific are the codes?
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi .

Yes sir a bad battery can play a big part in malfunction's like this .

A good scan tool that covers hyundai vehicles will let you know if this is the case .

Like i said could be any of many sensors that is causing you this issue ,a common issue for this car is a bad MAF sensor .

It very rare to see injectors fail to the extent they have to be replaced as these can be cleaned with injector flush .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What chance that getting a new battery and flushing injectors will solve problem?
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
This all depends on the malfunction codes you have .

If the battery is weak you will have a codes for this, and injection related codes for the injectors.

You need to have a code check so we know what you are up against.

If you don't have the time or tools to do this then run a half tank of fuel injector cleaner
though the system and see if you have any improvement .

What is the battery power like , check with a volt meter , a good strong battery will have 12.4 -.6 volts a low charged battery will have 12,4 and lower this needs recharging or replacing .

With the engine running you should have a bgattery voltage of 14volts +/-.5 volts
13volts and lower have the charging system checked .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Thank you .

If needed you can get back to me anytime for further assistance with this issue with out any further cost .

Rgds Greg