Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

The immobiliser is not working on my Kia Carens. I cannot start

The immobiliser is not working on my Kia Carens. I cannot start the car
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
Disconnect the negative battery cable and then the positive battery cable end and leave disconnected for 15 minutes, then reconnect the positive first and then the negative. Insert key in the ignition and turn to the on position but do not try to start and leave for 5 minutes and then try to start the vehicle. This should reset the system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about the delay. I was called away and have to stay overnight without transport.

I've tried what you suggested but is still not working. The immobiliser indicator in the dash does not light up. In normal conditions the light comes on for a few second then goes off and then I can turn the engine on but as I said it doesn't come on at all. Is there any way I can disable the immobiliser.

The immobilizer is integrated with the ecu and can not be disabled or bypassed. If the light is not coming on at all, this means communication has been lost and the system is going to have to be reset using a diagnostic scan tool with the proper programming.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I need to go to a Kia garage to have a diagnostic scan or will a local garage do

This will need to be done at a Kia garage. Thank you.