Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Hyundai and Kia tech
29331485

I bought a new kia picanto 1.2 which currently has 175 miles

I bought a new kia picanto 1.2 which currently has 175 miles on the clock. I have noticed since new the sound of the exhaust passing through exhaust pipe gives a hollow ringing sound. Will this become less of an issue when the exhaust pipe builds up with carbon.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hi .

Thank you for using justanswer for your car problems .

The tinny sound you hear is normal on this vehicle, speciallyon the 1.2L engine .

Time will not change anything on this even with carbon build up as carbon build up
can take 100.000miles due to the new system of engine management control.

This is something you will have to live with, or have a exhaust resonator fitted to reduce the tinny exhaust noise .

Please get back to me with the reply button and not the poor or bad service so i can get back to you with further assistance with this issue.

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for reply.

I appreciate your view on having to accept the tinny noise from exhaust and may have to accept it or have a resonator fitted. It's just annoying the test drive I had on the one year old 1.2 kia picanto certainly did not have the noise I hear. Do you advise I should let Kia investigate, as it may not be exhaust? or can you suggest what else it may be.

George

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi George.

With me not being there to hear this and you are sure that the exhaust noise you have is not the same as you experienced with other 1.2 picanto then yes sir i would take it in under the warranty to have this investigated .
I have not seen any callbacks or TSB for this concern.

You maybe on to a fault not yet known with the exhaust system.

Kindest regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Greg. I will take the car in under warranty just to satisfy my concern. I will rate your service after this reply.

Thanks again.

George

Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi George .

Good move .

Wish you all the best with this, and happy motoring ,

Greg