Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I,m having a problem with my Kia sorento on a 05 plate on

Customer Question

I,m having a problem with my Kia sorento on a 05 plate
on a recent day out it cut out completely whilst driving in the middle lane on the A1
I managed to cruise onto the hard shoulder without too much of a problem
I turned the ignition off and took the key out and set the alarm
I reset it and started the engine without any problem and continued my journey
But it happened again six times before I reached my destination a total of 54 miles
I called the AA and he seemed to think it,s an electrical problem as he couldn,t find any obvious fault
any advice would be greatly appreciated
Yours faithfully
TW Stephenson
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
Did any type of warning lights come on prior to the vehicle shutting off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry I haven,t respponded before now, I was unable to do so as I was travelling home.

I have driven over 100 miles with no incident.

There was no indication at all prior to cut-out, but the engine CHECK light iit, that as gone out now and everything appears normal now,but I.m still concerned it could re-occur

TWS

From what you are describing is a electrical failure to the crankshaft position sensor, which when failing results in the issue that you are having. Even though the symptoms are not present at the moment, the sensor needs to be OHM tested.