Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

'56 plate Sorento has been misfiring for a while and dropped

Customer Question

'56 plate Sorento has been misfiring for a while and dropped into limp mode a couple of time, but was fine on restart. Yesterday dropped into limp mode, OK on restart, but almost immediately the engine cut out and engine management light stays on. Started fibe this morning but haven't driven it yet??
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
From the description of the issue that you are having the ignition coil is shorting out and causing the issue that you are having, the ignition coil would need to be tested as a first step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike, I've had the car on a diagnostics machine and apparently it a problem with fuel pressure, something about the pressure in the 'fuel rail'? I don't have a clue whether that means a new pump, a blocked injector/s, or what. It runs reasonably well at low speed, although still missing and only drops into limp mode when I put my foot down, the engine management light is back on, but I expected that. I'm hoping it's not the pump as I know that costs a small fortune. If it were the pump, would it not drop into limp at any time and not only when I put it under load? Cheers....Barrie