Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2006 kia sportage 2L diesel. The problem I have is

I have a 2006 kia sportage 2L diesel. The problem I have is that the when trying to start it, the engine will fire for a second or so, then stop.
This will happen for for a number of times then be ok, once it is running it is fine.
The battery is new and the cam and crank sensors have been changed. What is the problem?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hello, welcome. My name is***** will do my very best to assist you with your question. I apologize if you have been waiting long for a response.
Are there any type of warning lights coming on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Mike

No warning lights showing and engine management light is off. All seems ok when it eventually starts running.

Has the fuel pressure ever been checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not as far as I know, I've had the car for 2 years and it has not been checked in that time.

Ok this would be the next step, the fuel pressure would need to be checked because your issue sounds like the fuel pump is not priming correctly and causing the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, is that something I can do or would I have to take it to a garage to be done?

You can do it, but it would require a fuel pressure test kit. After the price of the kit it would be cheaper to have a shop do this for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** it done and let you know how it goes.

No problem thank you.