Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I was driving home last night and lost all gears on the motorway

Customer Question

I was driving home last night and lost all gears on the motorway and had to be recovered - the car is a Kia Ceed 59 reg - the clutch pedal goes up and down and the gear stick will select gears but there is no drive - can you suggest the cause
Category: Kia
Expert:  Robert replied 2 years ago.

Hi..there..

There could be many things to cause loss of drive - the first steps ideally in all situations such as this is to check the driveshafts..and ensure both of these are still intact or one hasnt actually failed - the other possible cause is most likely clutch failure in some way..that would have to be verified as such before gearbox removal..they should also inspect the selector mechanisim at the gearbox to ensure that the gearbox does actually go into gear...if all above seems to check ok..then the problem is more than likely within the gearbox itself...I do hope this helps