Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a Kia Sorento - had masses of work done on the engine

Customer Question

I have a Kia Sorento - had masses of work done on the engine and brakes and last week the brakes failed - turned out that one of the pipes had not been connected fully and so the brake fluid leaked out. This was fixed by a garage but they said there was an underlying problem with the brakes and they had blocked the vacuum pipes to allow us to drive the car until we could get it back to the garage on the Monday. After about 45 minutes the engine failed - its a right off - could blocking off the vacuum created pressure and caused something else to happen?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

Exactly what type of work was done on the engine?

Also which parts of the brakes was repaired? asume some of the solid lines were replaced?

How do you mean engine failed? was it is doing exactly or any prior issues before failing?

Which vacuum pipe? the one at the servo diconnected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Work done on the car over last 12 months

front timing chain changed twice

top end overhaul - 2 broken rockers

diesel injector number 4

full head set

oil fuel tank/filters

vacuum pump changed

and on brakes

brake servo replaced

last Friday

tighten up pipe on brake master cylinder, bleed whole system and replace with break fluid

block off vacuum feed to electro solenoid valve/turbo charger waste gate actuator

the garage have said the oil pump seized and that caused starve of oil to crank shaft - shell went and other damage not identified as yet

we had only gone about 30 miles and up to that point there had been no trouble with the engine - no oil warning lights or anything

got to go out for an hour will await your reply

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

2 timing chains within 1 year? that doesnt right,clue could be there... of course for chains to fail in such a short period of time "i asume this why you had 2 broken rockers/top end overhaul" would scream out a lubrication issue if the chain caused all that work/failed..cause primarily thats what keeps the chain lubricated in which needs constant supply of oil to the chain and thats why some chains last the lifetime of an engine..if oil isnt getting to the chain..then obviously oil condition and oil filter condition checked - the oil pump check.pick up strainer in the sump an oil pressure test would be one of the things to carry out.to see if the pumps performing and within manufactuer psi/bar spec..

As far as the brakes goes..to be honest thats negligence..and sort of wondering how they manage to bleed the system first off if one of the lines from the master cyl was leaking..as each time the brakes where bled you would be dragging air in via that loose female union fitting to the master cylinder..thus you would have spongy brakes or at least which ever line that fed .then that brake wouldnt be working efficently...and off course the leak should of been obvious at the beginning..so someone hasnt ensured those fitting where secure..and you shouldnt of had to foot a bill for that...

When ever an oil pump fails or starting to fail in some way..you would or should get alot of top end rattle/inc the chain..dry top end/cams look dry would be an idication.also to you would have the oil light flickering or on constant..sometimes depending on the fail the engine will start to smoke or just cut out continually due to the lack of lubrication internally but the damage may already done..which means a replacement engine..it would be pointless to rebuild that engine..due to nature of the fault....but for 2 chains to fail within a year..its possible the chains have been running dry or not getting any lubrication..as timing chains and replaced very rarely fail in that short period of time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they said the timing hais sorry chain was not fitting properly so he c hence second chai n we literally had a slight knocking noise pulled o over to hard shoulder and oil everywhere no smoke or anything all oil filters etc had been sdo do one sorry at hospital and pbph phone will

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Ok..Intially a disconnected vacuum line from the waste control solenoid this as the control solenoid recives a vacuum feed - the solenoid which is commanded by the ecu controls the waste gate on the turbo using the vacuum it supplied with to open and close the waste gate under certain engine loads/throttle.. but it shouldnt cause oil pump failure..rather a lag in engine power or no turbo boost performance say..... Oil everywhere? would indicate a leak or too much pressure in the crankcase,overfilled with oil..to blow it out all over the engine -or via the engine breathers...was the timing case actually sealed properly..as any leak from that would eventually cause oil loss leading to pump failure if not caught early
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

will have to ask my partner as his car - I know the reason all the work was done on the engine in the first place was because it just kept losing power and would only go about 20 miles an hour almost as if you had cruise control on it would not go any faster then you had to stop switch off the engine wait a few minutes and then it would driver properly again - if the oil was low one would have thought we would have had a warning light come on - but I know it was checked a couple of weeks ago. Will be back in touch

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..if the first problem was a power issue then normally the timing chain wouldnt cause that becuase as you say the problem resolved to a point when you started the car back up again..... as far the oil level goes then yes if the oil was low or the pump wasnt working to circulate the oil around the engine - that in turn would cause low oil pressure and thus the oil light should of come on to tell you the oils low or there is an issue there...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We had no indication at all that anything was wrong - until we heard a noise - I put the passenger window down because at first I thought the front tyre was going flat but the tyre was fine and we started to pull onto the hard shoulder then there was a clatter and no power.

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..

To me it sounds like something hasnt been done,fitted properly and considering the oil pump on these are normally chain driven too from the crank sprocket normally on the sorento models ,might suggest the fault lays there..hard to say for sure without actually seeing the engine for myself - getting the engine stripped or at least the timing cover removed on that side to see whats occurred first hand.in regards ***** ***** noise issue you experianced...could well of been the oil pump breaking up,siezed as a result caused sprocket failure/chain fail....an oil pump as far ive seen on the majority or vehicles dont tend to sieze up that early on,or as quickly as you desribe from repair to driving the car that short period of time with no prior warning/oil warning light at least....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your thoughts - as someone who knows nothing about cars - I can't quite see that that much damage can occur without some sort of warning and the garage is not going to be of any help!

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..

Yes i can certainly see from what you have said in regards ***** ***** said damage that had occured... to be honest although the "slight knocking noise" you mentioned would likely of been that ie: bottom end wear..but normally that would happen if NO oil was getting around the engine at all and damage would already be done...its a pitty you didnt get another garage to inspect this as this could of highlighted any wrong doing by the previous garage.and you may of had something to go on for expense wise for repairs..if that was the case..of course you could ask exactly the reason surrounding why the oil pump failed and wasnt obvious before hand..during chain renewal when normally that is checked...