Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Kia sportage xs 2010 noise from back when hit any bumps or

Customer Question

kia sportage xs 2010 noise from back when hit any bumps or humps sounds like sqeaky noise
Category: Kia
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 9 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Check for worn suspension joints by jacking the car up so the wheel is off the ground and shake the tyre from top to bottom and from side to side (with someone holding the steering wheel). There should be no play in either direction.

Any play in 1 direction will usually require a suspension joint to be replaced, if there’s play in both directions then the wheel bearing may be at fault.

If theres play only up and down its the strut top mount - to find this one you have to shake the suspension strut it self up and down with the wheel off the ground - so you may need to remove the wheel to check this one.

Best way to find which one is squeaking is to bounce the car on each corner to find which one is noisy then get under the car and spray a suspension joint with WD40, then re-bounce that corner to see if the noise is any better/ quieter. Repeat until you find which joint is noisy then you can get it replaced, or just add some moly grease.

Squeaking joints are usually a sign of wear, but a joint can carry on like this for many miles with no problems other than the noise.

From the sound of its you may have a partially seized joint or worn shock absorber, check for any signs of oil on the shock absorber body as if its leaked out, then the shock will need replacing.

When you're doing the bounce test you should find that the car returns to equilibrium within a single bounce, if not this indicates a worn shock absorber

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you