Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I parked my car and as usual left it in gear last night,

Customer Question

I parked my car and as usual left it in gear last night, this morning I've gone to car to find the gearstick seems to be stuck in gear and I can't shift it. The clutch seems to be operating as usual. There was no sign of anything unusual last night when I parked. Any ideas?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Continue waiting, I still have the problem.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

you don't say what make. model an year of vehicle this is but

I'd suggest to check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.
If its a cable type linkage check along the cable lengths for any damage or signs of heavy wear / fretting, if you find any replace the cable. There may be some adjustment on the cable tension at the gearbox end (depending on the year) and the cable should be tensioned so there is a minimum of slack but not so its taught also check that both cables are still attached to the gearbox

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you