Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Their, I have a KIA Seddona 2009 model with a 2.9 diesel

Customer Question

Hi Their, I have a KIA Seddona 2009 model with a 2.9 diesel engine. Every now ang again
I loose power whilst in 1st and second gear and you think you are going to stall but it does pick up and throws a little black smoke out and then runs fine for a while. I have also noticed that the car lakes power when travelling at around 70 mph and if on a motorway you hit a hill at 70 the car automatically starts to slow down and can sometime lose up to 10 mph whilst climbing a hill. Any reccomendations would be appreciated as to where to look as we have plugged it into the computer system and it has found nothing. The car just has over 55k on the clock. Thanks Philip.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

I'd agree a faulty EGR is a strong possibility and be honest what I'd try is to fit a blanking plate between the EGR valve and the inlet manifold but leave the valve all connected

the plate just needs to be a 1 to 2mm plate that can be clamped between valve manifold

check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Many thanks for your reply. My car is going back to the garage tomorrow and I will ask them to carry out the following checks. Some checks have already been done and the heater plugs were replaced earlier this year along with an injector cleaner. However you have highlighted a couple of areas we have not covered so we will give it a go. Thanks Phil.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

no problem Phil

just get back to me on this post