Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

Can you help with formatting my laptop

Customer Question

Can you help with formatting my laptop

I BELIEVE I MAY HAVE PAID TWICE

Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Is this the first installation of Windows 7 in this laptop? Or is this laptop already have a version of Windows and you want to WIPE everything clean and begin a fresh installation? Please remember that formatting your laptop removes all data.

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Laptop already has a version 7windows but I want to wipe everything clean and start again. I have saved the data that is important

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Phil,

Thank you for that confirmation.

Here are the important steps in reinstalling Windows 7 in a "clean install" method. By clean install, you can format the hard disk drive to wipe all data and then install Windows 7.

1. Load the Windows 7 disc in the CD/DVD drive
  2. Restart the computer
  3. Press any key when prompted to boot from the Windows 7 installation DVD
  4. Allow Windows setup to load
  5. In the first screen, choose your Language and your keyboard layout
  6. Click Next
  7. Then click on the Install button at the center
  8. Click the ACCEPT the license agreement of Microsoft
  9. Click Next
  10. In the screen giving you 2 options Upgrade and Custom (Advanced), click on Custom (Advanced) since this is the only option where you can FORMAT your drive
  11. When you see the disk drives, usually Disk 0 is your hard disk drive, click on it to select it
  12. Click on Drive Options (Advanced)
  13. There you shall see the FORMAT command
  14. Click on Format to wipe all data
  15. When prompted, click on OK to confirm the format operation
  16. Give it some time to format the drive
  17. When the mouse cursor turns to normal which indicates the format is done, click on Next
  18. The installation shall proceed normally

For a helpful video guide, please click on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mME9VLT7-xw

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi!

I have got all done except for getting my samsung clx 3185fw wireless printer working

have followed all directions from samsung and they seem to think that it a computer network problem, not sure how to check this can you help

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Phil,

Thank you for writing back. I believe that your Windows 7 is now freshly installed and working.

Now, regarding your wireless printer, did you install the software already? Also, do you intend to use it wirelessly or USB connected?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes windows 7 is working ok

The printer software is installed ok and shows in devices and printers, it and my computer has a yellow exclamation mark against them

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

When you installed the printer's software, did you connect the printer to the computer using a USB cable or not?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I connected the router to the printer only

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

So you are saying that when you installed the software, the printer is connected to the wireless router. Is this correct?

Have you checked if the wifi for your printer is turned ON?

Also, during installation, you bypassed connecting to the printer because your computer cannot connect to the wireless printer?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes printer was connected to wireless router as per samsungs instructions

Yes WiFi is turned on

Yes bypassed connecting to the printer because computer cannot connect to the wireless printer

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

Is your computer connected to the wireless network also?
Can you browse your network and please check if the wireless printer is detected or shown?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

Yes computer is connected to wireless network but with a yellow exclamation mark against it

Yes Printer is showing but with a yellow exclamation mark against it

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

Since your computer shows a yellow question mark for your wireless, that means that your computer has a limited connectivity, it can't connect to the internet I believe.

If the computer is unable to connect to the internet because of connectivity issues, then it cannot connect to the wireless printer as well. In this case, please try these steps:
  1. Click Start => Control Panel
  2. Under System and Security, please click on Find and Fix Problem"
  3. Under Network and Internet, click on Connect to the Internet
  4. Then follow the on screen procedures then test if the computer is able to connect to the internet
  5. When successful, try to connect to the printer this time and see if the problem is gone.

Regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

Yes there is a problem, It could not connect and did not have a solution

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

Is this problem computer unable to connect to the internet?
Also, is your wireless router turned on all the time and turned on for a long time already?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

No, It is showing me that it is connected to the internet and showing 4 bars

Router is turned on all the time and there is another computer using it as well all the time

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.

Phil,

Please try to use this problem computer then use the web browser and go to http://google.com and other sites. Are the sites loading normally?

Also, please hover to the yellow mark for your wireless connection then see if it is indeed saying "Limited connectivity".

Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

I went into Devices and Printers and hovered over the Computer icon , which said troubleshoot turns out that the

PCI FLASH MEMORY is missing, and is telling me to update the driver which I have no idea how to do. Do you think this could be the whole problem

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

Which icon is that? There is no Computer icon under Devices and Printers. Are you saying that you did hover to the samsung printer?

Or are you saying that you went Device Manager and not Devices and Printers?

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

The computer I mean is called Phils PC under devices and printers and I did hover over the printer and after troubleshooting said that windows could not fix

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

You have not confirmed yet. Is the computer connected to the interner and able to browse websites?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES YES

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
So that means that only the printer is not connected to the wireless network. Please give me a moment while I check your printer's documentation.

One more thing, did you connect the printer to the wireless network after turning on the printer's wifi?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

Its a Pain is it not,

Yes, printer was connected wireless network after turning on the printers wifi

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

Have you tried to print the Configuration Report of your printer?

Follow the steps below:

1. Power on your Printer.
  2. Press the Menu button on your printer, and then press OK on SYSTEM SETUP.
  3. Use the left and right arrows to navigate to REPORT and press OK.
  4. Use the left and right arrows to navigate to CONFIGURATION and press OK.
  5. After pressing OK when YES is shown the Configuration report will print.

In that configuration report, please tell me the IP address of the printer.

Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

Here you go

IP assignment DHCP

IP Address 192.168.1. 69

Phil

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

I will be back in 20 mins

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

In the computer, please do these:
  1. Click Start => All Programs => Accessories => Command Prompt
  2. In the blank command window, type:

ipconfig /all
    (There is space between g and /)

3. Press Enter
  4. Now, please look for the IP v4 of that computer and the Default Gateway IP address and the DHCP server IP address.

Let me know.

Jess

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess hi! again

Default gateway----------------------192.168.1.254

DHCP-----------------------------------192.168.1.254

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

What is the IP address (IP v4) of the computer itself?
Also, what is the IP v4 address of the computer you are using now?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess

Good Morning

IP Address (IP v4)--------------------192.168.1.67 (Preferred)

Where do I find the IP v4 address of the computer??

Phil

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi!

One other thing I have noticed

Windows keep having to reset network adapter

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil, I believe that this
Is the IP v4 of the cmputer?

Did you get this info when you run ipconfig /all in the computer?

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES YES

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

In the computer, do you have the "Network" icon in your Desktop? If you have, open that "Network" icon.

Now, please tell me if the wireless printer is listed as a network device.

Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Jess

NO it is not listed on the network

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Phil,

I am sorry for the late reply. I am in a different time zone. I am consufed on the IP addreses that you reported.

In the printer configuration report:

IP assignment => DHCP

IP Address => 192.168.1. 69

In the computer where you are installing the printer:

Are these information correct?

Now, this simply means that your printer is properly connected to your wireless network.

Now, given that the printer is already connected to the wireless network, all you need to do is to RUN the printer installation in the Windows 7 computer. If you have already done this, I highly suggest that you go to Start => Control Panel => Programs and Features and then UNINSTALL your Samsung printer from there so that we can start a new installation.

When done removing the previous installation, please restart the computer.

After it has restarted, here are the things that you need to do:
  1. Plug in the USB cable that came with the printer to the computer then turn ON the printer.
  2. If you get any prompts on screen, click on Cancel when available or press Esc key.
  3. Then Load the Samsung installation disc and select Setup from the autorun pop up
  4. If there is no pop up, open Start => Computer then double click on your CD/DVD drive to start installation
  5. In the setup screen, DO NOT click on the Install Now button. Instead, click on "Wireless Settings and Installation" below Install Now button
  6. Agree on the License Agreement then click on Next
  7. In the next screen, you can click on Yes to help Samsung improve their product, or No. Pick your option then click Next
  8. The next screen is the main wireless setup. Now this is critical, please slow down at this point. If your wireless router has a WPS button (please look closely at your wireless router), then you press that button in your wireless router, then in the setup screen in your computer, select the second option which says "Configure the wireless setting by pressing the WPS...." Then click Next. At this point, the two devices communicates.
  9. Now, If your router has NO WPS button, choose the first option which says "Configure the wireless settings manually" then click on Next
  10. Then setup will search for all wireless networks at range.
  11. You should see your wireless network name in the list. This is where your computer is also connected. You can check the name in your computer when you hover the mouse pointer to the wireless icon in your system tray, near the system time, since it will tell you which wireless network your computer is connected
  12. Then click on that wireless network to select it then click Next
  13. If your wifi has a password, you will be promted to enter your password. Then click on Next
  14. Then your wireless printer is NOW connected to your computer. Then click Next
  15. In the next screen, if the printer is connected with a wired LAN or ethernet cable directly to the router, please disconnect that cable from the router and from the printer. Please disconnect the LAN cable, NOT the USB cable.
  16. Click Next and wait for setup to connect the printer to the wireless network
  17. When successful, click Next to continue (Do not enable wifi direct)
  18. At this point, diconnect the USB cable from the computer to the printer
  19. Now setup will search for your printer. This takes a few minutes
  20. When you see your printer appear in the box, install the rest of the drivers. Just take the default options presented. Click Next
  21. You can put a name of your printer to identify it easily if you have many printers installed in the network
  22. Click Next
  23. When done, click NO in the option so that it will not install automatic driver updates
  24. Click Next and wait for setup to install drivers and this can take several minutes. When Windows prompts appear, click on YES to allow windows to install the drivers
  25. When done, print a test page
  26. Your printer is installed and be used wirelessly this time

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Jess

After a lot of trying ,finally I have a wireless printer

Thank you for your help

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Phil,

Thank you for writing back. I am glad that your wireless printer is now working. The key procedure in these kinds of installation is that, the pireless printer must be connected to the computer using the USB cable for the computer to detect the hardware. Then the printer shall be connected to the same wireless network where the computer is connected.

Thank you for using our service.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi! Again Jess

Thanks for that help

I have 2 other small problems

1------How do I upgrade the PCI memory driver when it does not get updated by windows upgrade (It has a yellow exclamation mark on it)

2-----I have a script problem when running outlook 2013

Thanks in advance

Phil

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Phil,

Since this is entirely a new problem, and given that this thread is long already, I highly suggest that you open a new question for this.

Regards,
Jess