sliver68420
sliver68420, Computer Repairer
Experience:  A+ pc technician with over 10 years experience.
9257729

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire 5250 Laptop with a P5WE6 LA-7092P

Customer Question

Hi, I have an Acer Aspire 5250 Laptop with a P5WE6 LA-7092P Motherboard.
The Laptop had a cracked screen but powered on and booted normally.
I removed the old screen to get the part number for the lcd before ordering a new screen.
New screen arrived yesterday and I fitted it. but now when powered on it turns off after 3-4 seconds. Thats when I realised I've made a big mistake and had left the battery in when removing and fitting the new screen.
Is it possible I've shorted the LCD controller?? I've looked at the schematics of the motherboard but being new to electronics I'm having trouble identifying the problem.
I've got a multimeter and can solder. Just want to be pointed in the right direction.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  sliver68420 replied 3 years ago.

Customer:

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help :)

Customer:

if when the screen goes off after 3-4 seconds..you take a flashlight and shine it at an angle at the screen..if you can see a faint image on there then its the backlight that is bad...if not then it is the power inverter that's gone.

JACUSTOMER-ruyhve0i- :

Hi Jamie,

JACUSTOMER-ruyhve0i- :

The laptop powers off after 3 seconds so there's no display. Would a bad LCD power inverter stop the laptop powering up? If I upload a pic of the motherboard could you show me where it is?

JACUSTOMER-ruyhve0i- :

Wait.. it doesnt have an inverter??

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

Adam
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I want to wait for an answer.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 3 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

If you decide on a refund, or wish to keep the credit for a future question, then of course we'd honour it.

Adam

I appologize for the delay and the initial confusion.I had for some reason thought it was only the screen that was going black after a few seconds. Have you tried to boot up pc without the new screen hooked up..also can you use a vga or hdmi plug to try testing it with an external monitor(if you do this remember to switch it to the external monitor with the fn+screen buttons on your keyboard). Although this doesn't sound like a screen issue because it would be able to stay powered on without a screen. What it sounds like is something was shorted or blown...usually the laptop will give you an error code of some kind to let us know where the problem lies. When it turns off are there any flashing lights on or around the keyboard or any unusual beeps? And have you tried removing the battery and using only the ac adapter and then powering the pc on without the battery in?(usually when i do this i have to hold the power button down for 3-4seconds)
Thanks,
Jamie Smile

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jamie

Yep basically I've tried all that. no beeps just turns off after 2-3seconds.

I was just wondering if you knew what component I could of shorted to stop it from booting.

I'm thinking it must be in the LCD power circuit??

Would shorting something in that circuit stop it from booting?

What would be the prime suspect?

You definately zapped it. Its turning off because the motherboard is not passing the power through correctly...I would focus on the areas around the battery and ac plug area +the area around the screen plug. I would first try booting it up with no battery in it plus a different ac cable if you can. If still no luck which I suspect...then you will want to try reflowing the motherboard next...to do that you have to remove the motherboard and strip it down to nothing but the motherboard..that means no nic cards, no ram chips, no plugs (you can leave jumpers on)...then make 4-5 aluminum foil balls to balance the motherboard on because you don't want it sittig directly on the pan or cookie sheet or whatever your using to bake it on. It must be perfectly level...then bake at 400 for 15mins...then don't remove it from the oven..just turn off the oven and leave it opened to cool...leave it to cool for about 2hrs...then put the pc back together...put battery in last and plug in the ac adapter too and wait at least ten seconds before powering the pc on.
hopefully that will do the trick. If not you will have to test all the little capacitors ect on the board near those two areas i mentioned earlier. Let me know how it goes.
thanks,
Jamie Smile

ps...always make sure you are properly grounded when handling computer parts and never touch anything gold with your hands/skin because the oils will kill the conductivity.