Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

My laptop seemed to crash, so I looked at options on the All

Customer Question

My laptop seemed to crash, so I looked at options on the All Prgrammes and went into 're-configure computer'. it has been telling me it is re configuring windows and registry for a week! I cannot move the mouse to exit. Help please. C660/C660D
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is Jess and I am glad to assist you today.

What is the status of your laptop now? When you turn it on, is it still freezing and unable to start Windows? Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Computer shows:

Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored

System Restore is restoring the Registry...

Mouse and touch pad are both not working.

The words above are on the Windows 7 blue screen and been like this over a week.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Malcolm,

Thank you for writing back. Are you saying that this problem is about a week now? Or that the problem computer is restoring like this for a week now?

Also, how did you do the restore? Is it a System Restore from Start => Accessories => System Tools => System Restore? Or a Factory Reset that wll wipe everything from your computer then load the out-of-the-box-state of your computer?

Let me know.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jess,

Because the screen has a time-out limit, after a while it goes off. When switching back on, the same words and screen appear.

It has been over a week in this screen with nothing else working.

To do the original 'Restore', as I remember, I went into

Al programes

>system restore

I think!!!!!

Malcolm

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Malcolm,

Thank you for that information. At this point, please try to force the system to boot into Safe Mode. Here are the steps:
  1. Turn ON your computer or restart
  2. Immediately tap the F8 key and keep tapping it until you see the Advanced Boot Menu options
  3. Navigate using the arrow keys and choose Safe Mode
  4. Press ENTER to choose Safe Mode
  5. Press ENTER again to confirm

If it won't boot into Safe Mode, please try Safe Mode with Command Prompt or Safe Mode with Networking. As long as you get the Advanced Boot screen, you can also try to boot into Last Known Good Configuration.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My computer is probably in hybernation mode as I switched it on and pressed F8 continually for nearly 2 minutes, I then switched off with power button and then on again, a further 1 minute of tapping F8, still no change from original worded screen.

Malcolm

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Malcolm,

Please turn off the laptop and make it rest for 3 minutes to cool it off. Then turn it on, then press F8 and keep pressing it until you see the Advanced Boot options.

If you get the Boot order, a screen showing you the BIOS screen where you can select which drive to boot, just press Enter to select the default drive which is Hard Disk Drive then continue pressing or tapping F8 and see if you get the Advanced Boot screen.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess,

Switched off for 10 minutes. Followed instructions but after 3 minutes of pressing F8, stil the same screen.

Malcolm

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Malcolm,

Thank you for writing back. How long have you tried waiting for the screen with the wordings that you described to complete? In most frozen cases, the problem is corrected by allowing Windows to finish the operation.

However, I suggest that you look and observe the laptop closely and see if Hard Disk activity led is lit and blinking. This is a small led in the laptop sides that shows the activity of the hard drive. If the drive is busy reading, the led shall be fast blinking indicating that the hard drive is busy retrieving or writing data. Please check this HDD activity led and see if it is busy or not. If it is busy (fast blinking) please give the computer some time to allow it to continue.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jess,

Cannot find any led light and I now have to leave this as I have an appointment to go to.

This screen I have described to you has been like this for over a week. the only thing that tells me it is doing something is the revolving circle to the left of the writing, so how do I make sure the screen stays on if I have no mouse?

Malcolm

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Malcolm,

Thank you for writing back. Please take your time. At this point, I highly suggest that you use a USB-keyboard to override the laptop's frozen keyboard. You can barrow a keyboard from your desktop computer if you have one, as long as it is a USB-keyboard. You can plug it in any USB ports in the laptop then restart it.

When the USB keyboard is there, try press F8 when booting the computer up and see if you can get into the Advance Boot options to choose Safe Mode. If not, if the problem screen appreas, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to see if you can kick off the frozen update process.

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have put in a Mac usb keyboard and still nothing. this is now getting on my nerves. I,ll try getting to Tesco's to buy a cheap keyboard and see if that works.

After spending £33 and endless back and forth I am seriously considering getting another computer but of course I will lose all the photo's of my grandchildren.

If you can't come up with the answer just say so and will put the whole situation down to experience.

Malcolm

Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Malcolm,

I am sorry about the problem that is causing you a lot of trouble. I am doing my best to analyze the situation based on the information that you provided and in return give procedures that I believe would help correct the problem.

And the best option that can help you in this scenario is by using an external keyboad attached through a USB port. This way, you can override the laptop keyboard which has been frozen because of the faulty update or system restore operation. Thus, it is only with the use of an external keyboard that you can have input back to the computer since the laptop keyboard is frozen or not responding. When you are able to get a working keyboard, you can then terminate the system restore operation that causes the freezing of the entire system.

However, if there is no external keyboard that will work when attached to the computer, the last and final option would be using a system disk, that is, the installer of your Windows 7 to repair the operating system or to re-install it entirely. If you also have a recovery disc, you can run it to restore the computer back to its out-of-the-box state.

There are 2 ways to do a factory restore. First is using the hidden restore partition and second is through using a system recovery disc. But please be informed that not all computers support a hidden restore partition and users are given option to create a set of Restore Discs when they first setup their computer.

Regarding the data in this problem laptop, the easiest way for you to recover ALL your data (yes, all your created files and pictures except for programs installed in the computer) is to remove the hard disk drive, and then use a hard disk enclosure and insert the laptop's disk drive to the enclosure. Then plug in the enclosure to any computer since this enclosures can be attached to any computers using a USB cable. Thus, the hard disk drive that came from the problem laptop can be accessed in another computer like your Mac just like a USB Flash Drive.

Please give an external keyboard another try and see if the laptop responds this time.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) once you have all the
information you need.

If you have any other questions, please ask me or reply to me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Malcolm,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Please fell free to ask more questions if you need further assistance.

Let me know,
Jess