carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

Several keys on my Labtec keyboard to not work - c, e, m, r,

Customer Question

Several keys on my Labtec keyboard to not work - c, e, m, r, u, x - why would this be? I have the keyboad for a number of years but it has hardly been used. It has been kept in a dry dust-free drawer at normal room temperature.
Category: Laptop
Expert:  carlday1 replied 4 years ago.

carlday1 :

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is Carl and I will try and help with your question.

I am afraid I don't know why the keyboard has stopped working on certain letters normally it is caused by dirt or damage.

I would suggest you try some electrical switch cleaner on the keyboard and give the keyboard a brush with a paint brush in case there is any dirt trapped under the keys.

Do the keyboard letters work if you press very hard?

JACUSTOMER-0efjp425- :

The keyboard is very clean. The letters do not work even if I press hard. The response on-screen is dead, even though the keys make the normal sound when pressed.

JACUSTOMER-0efjp425- :

I was not able to continue with my earlier dialogue because your website demanded my email address then told me that it had already been used to register another user. At this point your website would allow me neither to go forward nor to go back. I had to close down.

JACUSTOMER-0efjp425- :

To my surprise when logging in to Just Answer I discovered that you had somehow placed a reply there. Unfortunately, your reply has not advanced matters for me.

JACUSTOMER-0efjp425- :

Please notify me if you reply further by writing to [email protected]

Expert:  carlday1 replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry but I am unable to see your email address it has been XXXXX out. I am unable to help you more I think the best solution would be to buy a new keyboard.

Would you like me to send this to customer service because of the problems you had when you posted the question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I cannot really rate you Carl, as you have not been able to help me. To advise me to buy a new keyboard does not deal with the issue.

The keyboard appears to be in great condition, shiny as new.

Expert:  carlday1 replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry I cannot help, I could help you fix it by talking you through stripping the keyboard but the time it would take you and the parts you would need would cost more than the keyboard is worth.

You would need IPA or some sort of electrical cleaner and some conductive paint in case the membrane has broke.

I can opt out if you would like another expert to offer advice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't believe that I should be charged as the time involved in the replies given is insignificant.

I want to opt out totally.

Expert:  carlday1 replied 4 years ago.
I will send this to customer service for a refund.