Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Laptop repair specialist
46034742

Please help! I have a very dated emachines laptop (series e520).

Customer Question

Please help! I have a very dated emachines laptop (series e520). It won't load up and I just literally have the Microsoft corporation logo and green loading light across the screen. So worried this has crashed and I have lost all my info, pics etc. please help
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 3 years ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I possibly can to help answer your questions. I am sorry to hear you are having this kind of problem. Just to verify it stays at the loading screen with the green lights going across correct? Also do you know what version of windows you are using exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately I have no idea a d would be guessing. I am hopeless at all this!
OK can you try turning your compute completely off, and right after you see emachines go away start pushing F8 repeatidly and tell me if it gives you the option to choose safe mode with networking.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This won't erase data will it?
No not at all, first I just want to make sure it can boot into safe mode for starters, if it can we can restore the machine to a time before the problem started without even losing your personal data.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is giving me option to safe mode with networking. Shall I select and press enter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What next?
Ok push enter let me know if it loads into windows it might take a few minutes for it to load.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It flicked down the screen for a few seconds, now is just saying just wait and doing very little. This is something I did try earlier but didn't have a clue what I was doing so didn't want to do any damage and gave up! It is doing nothing right now, just lots of 'loaded windows system driver disk all down the screen and please wait at the bottom but doing nothing!
OK like I said this can take some time so give it 10 minutes at the most I'm not going anywhere.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please don't! So worried that I have lost stuff!

I won't leave.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It isn't flicking down the screen anymore though, it hasn't moved at all for a few mins
It only goes down so far and stops moving it's normal for safe mode. Ok Can you tell me if you have a light indicator on your machine perhaps a flashing light for the hard drive indicator to let you know it's thinking anything like that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well on my machine I have three lights, the top one has a little pic like a box with a green light on. That has been on the whole time, does this mean that my hard drive is full? My husband was the last to use this lap top and he tells me that he uploaded photos from his iPhone. Could this be the issue? Sorry I should have mentioned this before. ( the other two lights have what look like lock symbols but neither light is on)

Ok what about the lights on the very front of the machine right in front of the mouse pad.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is no lights there, just the battery light and what I am guessing is the power light (symbol of a light bulb), if that other one is the hard drive light it is kind of flickering
OK I have an idea. This time hold the power button down until the machine shuts off. Flip the machine over and remove the battery. Then power the computer back on with the battery removed and tell me if you see any lights flashing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing flashing, just the light bulb symbol back on, ooh and now the box (which I guess is hard drive symbol) flickering as before, we are now back to mircrosoft corporation symbol and green light across screen again? Losing hope!
There is another way to take care of this even if windows needs to be reinstalled it can right over your windows installation so you can get your files if you need to. Your files are safe so far the operating system is just not functioning correctly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So what next?
OK let me ask you this do you by chance have a windows disk or anything that came with your machine by chance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No!
OK this is what needs to be done if you don't know what version of windows you are using you will need to find out of it's windows XP or windows vista because two have actually have that green bar you are speaking of. Now Once you find this out you would need to get a new copy of the operating system which I can show you were. You would need to run it and choose where you want to install it when it asks which would be drive see and it would save your old files to a folder called windows.old. The other option would be having someone remove the files from that hard drive and put them on a disk or flash driver or external hard drive. Either way those files can be saved and removed. You would still need to have windows installed on that machine again since it's locking up like that. I am very sorry to say this and I hate giving bad news on your operating system. Do you know how to do any of these procedures?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help. I will take it somewhere tomorrow. Are you quite positive that nothing will have been deleted from files?

I am %100 positive that the data on the drive is fine however windows is the only thing that has failed to function. I have seen this exact same thing many times. Your data is safe. I am just very sorry this has happened to you I feel terrible about it. I do want to say thank you for using our service to answer your computer related questions.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let me know...
Please don't leave negative feedback, Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated! You will be getting a survey on my assistance and information It would be greatly appreciated to let my Superiors know how I am doing thank you and please try and have a good day.