Cris
Cris, Computer Expert
Experience:  7 yrs experience with laptop troubleshooting and repair.
10156100

Hi j have a hp envy 14 beats it stopped turning on one day

Customer Question

Hi j have a hp envy 14 beats it stopped turning on one day it froze a couple of times before opened it up and found heat paste between the socket and cpu I got some spray alcohol to clean it put it back together and nohing the disc drive makes a noise and the wifi light lights up but thats it please help

Colin
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
Hi Colin,

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com to ask your question, I am Cris.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the paste is there for reason. To prevent the CPU from overheating.

You are never suppose to use alcohol or any liquid substance to clean the PC hardware. The liquid can cause permanent damage to the board and the CPU.

It appears your board of CPU may have failed and would need to be replaced. Depending if you have any warranty sometimes this may not be worth it because of the cost involved to do the repairs.

How long have you had your laptop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Too long out of warranty. New motherboard then. The stuff I used to clean it was meant forbfor electronics

Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
Even though, the motherboard and CPU are very delicate. They don't require any cleaning just some compressed air to clean out any dust.

No substance should ever touch either piece of hardware.

Are you saying the board is new?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Na had the laptop a while. It was freezing before so was thinking the motherboard was on its way out anyway.

Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
Unless the your laptop is overheating usually the freezing can be caused by failing memory, corrupted operating, or maybe even a virus.

However at this point your issue is definitely hardware related either the board or the cpu. Hard to actually tell which one. However your hard drive should be intact and you can remove it and copy any of the data to another PC or external hard drive.

I hope this helps if you have any further questions. Please let me know I will be glad to answer any follow ups.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah got all my docs off it was weird the laptop froze I turned it off went to turn it on the fans just went on really fast then would turn off.

Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
That sounds like the board, seems to have shortted out. Most likely from the liquid substance that made contact.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
Did you have any further questions?
Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
Hi Colin,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

If in the future you have any further questions please save my site profile. So you can reach me directly.

www.ITCrisAnswers.com

Let me know,
Cris
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi your help was most appreciated. To my surprise I left the laptop it would start and make noises so I left it like and it started up done a full factory reset and seems to ok for now.

Expert:  Cris replied 3 years ago.
Excellent,

Let me know if you have any further questions. I will be glad to answer them.