Pete
Pete, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

The date and time on my laptop has started resetting itself

Customer Question

The date and time on my laptop has started resetting itself every time I turn the laptop off, and this week the laptop has stopped starting up without first going into safe mode (where I am now). I have also started getting security warnings every time I connect to the internet, even for pages such as Google, even though I add the security exception each time.
I fear the laptop is on its way out, but could I fix any of these issues by either replacing a part or formatting the software?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Hi Laura,

I am Pete, a computer expert, and I'll be happy to assist with your laptop question.

Can you please let me know:

1. What is the make and model number of your laptop?

2. Approximately how old is it?

3. What version of Windows is installed on it?

4. Can you give some examples of the exact security warning messages you are getting?

5. What antivirus software are you using?

6. Has the laptop ever suffered from a virus or malware infection?

7. What is your level of experience in computers? (basic, intermediate, advanced)

8. What date and time does it reset to?
9. Does it reset to the same date and time each time it resets, or does it vary?

10. Any other relevant info?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

1. What is the make and model number of your laptop? Acer Aspire 8920

2. Approximately how old is it? App 5 years

3. What version of Windows is installed on it? Windows Vist Home Premium with SP2

4. Can you give some examples of the exact security warning messages you are getting? The only security warnings I get are when I am on the internet. It's not all sites either. Once I've added the security exception there's usually no problems

5. What antivirus software are you using? Avast (full programme)

6. Has the laptop ever suffered from a virus or malware infection? Not that I know of

7. What is your level of experience in computers? (basic, intermediate, advanced) Intermediate

8. What date and time does it reset to? 00.00, 2006
9. Does it reset to the same date and time each time it resets, or does it vary? It varies. Either 2006, but occasionally will just be at the time it was set to when I turned the laptop off

10. Any other relevant info?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the additional info, that helps a lot!

I have seen this problem many times on older computers and laptops.

You may have seen some of the following error codes appear immediately after turning on the laptop:

0250: systems battery error
0251: System CMOS checksum bad
0260: System Timer error
0270: Real-Time Clock Error

The problem is related to the CMOS battery inside the laptop, and it is no longer able to hold enough charge over a long period of time. That is also why the time will not reset if you turn the laptop on again soon after turning it off.

When the battery no longer functions, the computer does not remember the current date and time and defaults to the original date programmed in the BIOS.

To fix this problem, the CMOS battery will need to be replaced inside the laptop.

The laptop will need to be disassembled to reach the battery and replace it.

You can get a replacement battery from eBay or another website:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CMOS-RTC-BATTERY-OEM-ACER-ASPIRE-6920-6920G-8920-RESUME-CLOCK-BIOS-BACKUP-/140967116398

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete

Thanks so much for your help. I'll order a new one immediately.

Am I able to log back in to Just Answer at a later date to submit my rating? I'm sure you'll understand I just want to check whether this solves the problem before I pay.

Thanks again,

Laura

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Hi Laura,

Yes, you can return again to this page at any time - just save it to your Favourites:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/laptop/84pgg-date-time-laptop-started-resetting-itself.html

You can also ask free followup questions even after rating my service :)

Best,

Pete.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Laura,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,

Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Morning Pete. Still waiting on the part from US so may be a while!

I guess its easy to fit when it arrives? Do I need any special tools??
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Hi Laura,

You will just need to be able to access the battery inside the laptop, so a small star-shaped screwdriver should do the trick!

Pete.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hi Laura,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Do you need any further assistance?

Let me know,

Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The part has arrived but I don't have a small enough screwdriver to pull my laptop apart and find where it goes. I assume its under the back and not under the keyboard? Gonna have to hold out until I can find a screwdriver
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Correct, you will have to remove the cover off the back of the laptop to access the small battery.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Hi Laura,

Just checking if you need any further assistance with this?

Let me know,

Thanks!

Pete.