Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

was given an early christmas present of a laptop which i set

Customer Question

was given an early christmas present of a laptop which i set up last month but was told by my wife not to use till christmas day and now i cant remember the password XXXXX open this laptop what can i do to open the laptop or retrieve the password please neil
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 3 years ago.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

Viet - Computer Tech :

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your laptop? Does it have windows 7, or 8, etc.? Is it okay if we reset the laptop and start over?

JACUSTOMER-wrakhamp- :

hp and it has just been bought so believe it to have windows 8

Viet - Computer Tech :

Let's try this: turn off the laptop, then turn it back on, then press the key F11 when the hp computer logo (or the first thing) appears on the screen in order to do a system recovery/factory restore.

JACUSTOMER-wrakhamp- :

do i go to reset pc

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, please reset pc option

JACUSTOMER-wrakhamp- :

do i now go to reset my files or clean the drive fully i have mcafee installed and will it remove this

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please select reset my files; yes, it will remove mcafee, but you can reinstall mcafee easily

JACUSTOMER-wrakhamp- :

when this is complete will it revert to as bought and allow me to reintroduce my new password

Viet - Computer Tech :

that is correct; reset will revert it as new like when bought

Viet - Computer Tech :

, and will allow to set a new password

JACUSTOMER-wrakhamp- :

will i be able to get in touch later if this does not work as it looks as if it is going to take some time for the laptop to reset

Viet - Computer Tech :

Yes, of course, you can bookmark/add to favorites this web page and/or check your email for message from Viet / JustAnswer later in order to get back to me via this web page later.

JACUSTOMER-wrakhamp- :

thank you neil

Viet - Computer Tech :

You're welcome.

Viet - Computer Tech :

Please let me know the result any time via this web page; and I will help further if you need. Happy holidays! Thank you,