HunterOwens
HunterOwens, Computer Repairer
Experience:  A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist here to help you resolve your laptop problem fast!
20422294

My HP Pavillion G6 boots up but will not accept my password.

My HP Pavillion G6 boots up but will not accept my password. I am sitting next to the Pavillion on another PC. Can you help?
Category: Laptop
Expert:  jhannell replied 3 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello sir/madam
I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready

Customer:

Ready now

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

hello

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

we can go step by step and fix it

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

do you have windows 8 in your other computer?

Customer:

Yes. This one has XP - I think

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

if it was xp, recovery would be easy but recovering the windows 8 password XXXXX XXXXX difficult but not impossible

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

we will need to use a cd

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

do you have a blank cd?

Customer:

LET ME CHECK

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

waiting

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

blank cd or dvd

Customer:

yes. have RW 12*700MB

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

and install

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

if something goes wrong we can try remote assistance and fix it together

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

you need to download this program , install, and then insert your CD and burn the program onto CD

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

when done, we will use that cd to boot your other computer having windows 8

Customer:

OK. Have download it will now try to burn to CD

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

waiting

Customer:

OK. Have burnt Regpro to disk. What next?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you remove your cd, and insert it on your other computer

Customer:

Yes. Shall I do that now

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes

Customer:

OK

Customer:

Do I need to reboot. Disk inserted but nothing happening.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

yes you need to reboot

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you do it

Customer:

OK

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

your computer will start reading your cd

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

it is bootable

Customer:

I assum swithing on and off will do it. But the CD has not worked. I wonder if it tyhe program needs " unpacking" on the CD?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you try again

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

cd should work

Customer:

Have tried again but the other computer sill takes me to a log in page and asks me for a password. Which I dont have.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you try again, and press the f8 key

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

tap the f8 key repeatedly

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

if f8 does not work please try ESC

Customer:

OK. Have pressed f8 and have screen which offers system recovery and other options?

Customer:

Wah

Customer:

What should I do now?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

what are the options exactly? is there a password XXXXX option?

Customer:

No. It offers system informantion, system diagnoses, Boot device options, Bios setup, and system recovery.#

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you select boot device options

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

what do you see ? is there a CD boot option?

Customer:

It offers OS Boot Manager or Boot from EFI file

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

can you select os boot manager

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

what happens?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

what do you see now?

Customer:

It is now runing a repair program. has done that but will still not let me sign in. Will try again with " advanced options"

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

waiting

Customer:

OK. Changing the Boot options did not help.? The CD does not seem to work. But I could try "system recovery?

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

when did you set up your password?

Customer:

Not sure. Some time ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnell :

I am out of ideas, let me opt out and open this question to other experts. if no expert opts in, we can continue.

Customer:

OK,. Wait to hear from someone. Peter

Expert:  HunterOwens replied 3 years ago.

On the login page on your HP Pavillion G6 where you are prompted for your password, do you see your full name and email address (such as in this example) or do you see just a name without an email address (such as in this example)?

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I see my name and email addres

Thank you. Are you currently able to access email going to that address on this computer or another computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Okay. Please try following the steps below to reset your Microsoft Account password XXXXX If you get stuck at any point, or see different options, let me know.

1. Click here to load the Microsoft Account Password XXXXX Page in a new window.
2. Select the I forgot my password XXXXX and click Next.
3. Type the email address that you see on the login screen into the Microsoft account text box.
4. Type the warped text you see into the box below and then click Next.
5. If you're given the option Text and you recognize the phone number select Text, type in the last 4 digits of your phone number, and then click Next.
6. If you're not given the option Text, and only Email, but you recognize the email address, select it, type in your full email address, and then click Next.
7. You should then receive a code through either a text message or email that will allow you to reset the password.
HunterOwens, Computer Repairer
Experience: A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist here to help you resolve your laptop problem fast!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I got a code but the the screen I get on boot up which has a picture of me, my name and email address will not accept the code.. I am not sure the problem lies with Microsoft but with my PC?

You login to your PC with a 'Microsoft Account' so we're resetting that password XXXXX that makes sense. You want to type the code that you receive into the Microsoft Account Reset Page website, rather than the Windows 8 computer login screen. Sorry for the confusion.

After you click Next in Step #6 or #7 you should see a text box on that same website to type in the code you received. Now due to timing, you will probably need to start over on Step #1 with a new reset session.

If you're still having trouble let me know and we can start a remote screenshare to go through the process together.

Best,

Hunter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I think I said the problem is on another computer. When I boot it up it shows an opening page which is a picture I put there some time ago, when I click on this it goes to the page which shows my picure, email address and asks for a password. It will not accept the password XXXXX use and have used in the past.

I do understand that the problem is on another computer. However, since Windows 8 uses Microsoft Accounts by default, we should be able to reset the password XXXXX this computer. Can we start a remote screenshare so that I can go through the process with you? Please follow the steps below to do so:

1. Click here to load the remote connection page in a new window.
2. On the page that appears, click Launch GoToAssist.
3. When asked “Do you want to run this software?” click YES.
4. When asked "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?" Click YES.
5. Click on the orange circle icon in the taskbar along the bottom of your screen and click "YES" in the pop-up that asks “Do you want to join the session?”