Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

Laptop wont connect to internet , says unidentfied networ

Customer Question

Laptop won't connect to internet , says unidentfied network
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello Simon! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you have windows xp, vista, or 7, or 8?

When did this issue first occur? Was the laptop's wireless working with your hub previously?

Is any other wireless device able to connect to your hub?

Have you tried to see if the laptop is able to connect to your neighbor's wireless or at another wireless place?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have windows vista
Thank you. I asked a few more questions also. But let me give you some possible solutions.

Please click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then click on Device manager, then click on the + (plus) sign in front of Network adapters and right-click on each of the items under it and click on Uninstall and confirm (but don't delete the driver when prompted). Then restart the computer, and it will automatically reinstall.

Next, please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:

netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset netshlog.txt

Then restart the computer and check.

If that does not work, please click Start->All programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred, and check.

Please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so I can help further if there is still any issue. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still won't connect after doing all that and have now tried to connect again and windows network diagnostics , says my router is not available but it's connected to the hub , is there some security thing I may well be missing , thank you for your help
Sorry. No, it's not security issue. Is there any other wireless device, such as another laptop or wireless computer or tablet, etc., able to connect to your wireless network name?

Does the laptop see your hub's wireless network name and/or your neighbor's wireless?

Was the laptop working with your hub's wireless previously?

What's the model of your vista laptop (check at the back/bottom of it)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a samsung np-r510 it picks up the hub and connects to the hub but won't give me internet access says unidentfied network , all other wireless things will connect am using the iPad to chat to yourself
You did disconnect the power cord from the hub for a few minutes, then reconnect right?

If possible, can you download and update the Wireless... and BIOS items at the website below:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-R510-FAADUK
(Download and save from a working computer, then transfer over via a USB drive, then install.)

If that does not work, can you back up your files that you need, if any, such as documents, pictures, etc., to an external USB drive
, then turn off the laptop, then turn it back on, then right away, keep pressing and releasing the key F4 quickly and repeatedly until it gives you a menu, then do a factory restore.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's now saying , certificate error, navigation blocked-windows internet explorer

Does it still show unidentfied network? Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's saying internet explorer can not connect to yahoo, eBay , Internet explorer cannot display the page , and when the it does a diagnostics check still says there is something wrong
I'm sorry, can you try my last two suggestions please as needed? Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We'll I have just plugged it straight into the router via a cable connection and it's working now but not wireless would there be a wireless key or something as there is not one on the side of laptop

No, wireless key is on the hub/modem/router, not on the laptop, if your hub's wireless is set up with a password. When connected the laptop to your wireless network name after trying my first solution, did it ask to enter a password/key?

By the way, do you have a USB wireless adapter device? Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a USB , sorry and it will let me connect to the bt wifi , i don't think we are going to resolve this do you , thank you for your help though .

Simon

I'm sorry, I can still help you. Don't worry, we guarantee our service. You do not need a USB wireless adapter. Since you have the internet by connecting the cable to the router

, then can you please go to the website below on this laptop, then download and update the Wireless... and BIOS items at the website below:

(scroll down)
, then restart he computer and check.

If that does not work, can you back up your files that you need, if any, such as documents, pictures, etc., to an external USB drive (you can try this method later if you don't have a USB drive right now)

We can continue whenever you'd like to. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will do that later as I have to go to work at 12 till 5 , but will let you know how I get on thank you so much .
You're welcome. No problem; please take your time. Thank you