Nick H.
Nick H., Laptop Specialist
Experience:  Support all types of laptop for more than 12 years.
63271161

Hi there. I have Samsung chrome book 550 series 5 laptop. I

Customer Question

Hi there.

I have Samsung chrome book 550 series 5 laptop.
I have purchased this from eBay few months ago.
I have brought it with charging problems.
There is no green light showing but red light showing when you plug in the charger.
I have unassembled the unit and rebuilt it again but have got the same problem.
I do not have multi meter to check voltages or circuit diagram to check where the problem lies.
I was wondering if can help me were the problem lies. I think it could be the DC in socket there no signs of damage.

With Regards
Pradip
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello Pradip, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today.

With charging problem, either the DC socket/module is faulty or the Power connector that connect the DC socket or battery to system board is faulty.

I suggest that you search for the DC socket for your laptop and replace it first as it it much cheaper to replace. Then we can test the Power connector.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply back to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service. Thank you!

Nick

Nick H., Laptop Specialist
Experience: Support all types of laptop for more than 12 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank for your reply.

I have looked at the DC socket its comes with DC socket and the power connector together as it is one piece.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Pradip. If you can remove that socket from the system board, you can purchase a replacement and test it.

Many times the charging issue is on the DC socket and the system board. So testing the DC socket is the first thing we should try.

Please save this page to your Favorites or Bookmarks. Click on the saved link to come back. Hope to hear back from you.

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nick.

Hope u r fine and well.

I have taken out the battery and plug in the charger and the green light does come but can't boot up the laptop

So there is something wrong with battery or the socket

With Regards

Pradip

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Pradip,

I would advice to change the socket first. Then test with another battery.

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nick.

I hope you are fine and well.

I have replaced the DC socket this weekend.

It seems like its charging and the green light does come on.

I have left the laptop on charge as we speak but how ever I have tried switching on the laptop by pressing the on button on the keyboard as yet its not booting up.

What is the next thing I should check?

With regards

Pradip

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Pradip,

Try to disconnect charger and battery. Press Power button for 30 seconds. Connect battery back. Turn your laptop on.

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nick.

I have also notice that it's warming up near cmos battery .

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Pradip,

Can you check the fan? Use a compress-air can to blow onto the fan. Try to clean up a bit and test again.

Did your laptop turn on after the power reset?

Nick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nick.Thank you again.

I will try and what you recommend over the next few days.

With regards

..

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Sure. Hope to hear back from you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Nick.

Hope you are fine and well.

I have tried what you said but no joy.

I have also notice that the heat sink covering the cpu did not have compound.

I have put some compound on the heat sink.

I recond that the motherboard is faulty.

I do not what to spend money buying another motherboard.

With Regards

Pradip

Expert:  Nick H. replied 2 years ago.
Pradip,

Unfortunately, based on what you have tried, it does point to a faulty mother board.

Nick