Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have an acer aspire 5720 and it keeps crashing, and it seems

I have an acer aspire 5720 and it keeps crashing, and it seems to be getting hot under by the battery pack. When it crashes the lights that show it is running and the power light go out but it is still plugged in. I then have to wait about 10 mins to reboot and then go through the procedure of statrting window in normal mode or doing a backup to an earlier date. Have had laptop checked and all systems are running properly. Can you help
Category: Laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

When it crashes, what error message do you see?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no message just a black screen

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Is the battery getting so hot you cannot touch it Terry?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no but I have it lifted off the desk to help keep it cool

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Remove the battery and run it only on the charger

Does it then crash? As this would confirm a faulting battery

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will try later as I have to go out. Will I now have to pay each month to your company ?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
No, it is a one time payment Terry, and you can message me as much and long as is required.

I have marked this question to never close, so test without the battery so we can see if the battery is at fault. If it still crashes with the battery out, let me know here. There is no time limit on this.

If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how can the laptop work without power / battery.?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You still have the power cable connected, the instructions were to remove just the Battery Terry, so it just runs on the power cable.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok ty sorry to be so dumb but I am no expert like you

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your not dumb at all Terry, its a logical question.

And we all have out specialties :) That's why you came here for the computer issue.

Richard, Computer Engineer
Experience: Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Terry,

Can you return to your question here please.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have tried what you suggested and removed the battery pack and left laptop on and when I tried to do work on several jobs it crashed again

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Then after 10 minutes it worked again correct Terry?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nearly straight away didnt wait at all

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Ok, it is overheating Terry, likely an internal fan has failed.

when it gets too hot it will shit down like this to avoid any further damaged.

This will be caused by a hardware fault and you will need to return the Acer to have a hardware diagnostics performed on it and the faulting component replaced.

This will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired and will be done at no cost, but you will need to do this as this issue is caused by a hardware fail sorry.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ty but laptop is out of waranty so can or should I take it to my local computor repair shop and would they be able to do a repair?

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that would be no problem.

You will be looking at a worse case cost of 200 pounds Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ty a new laptop may be money better spent

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
That is also true, but first get a price from them Terry, as I only gave a worst case scenerio.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok ty again for your help. I am sorry I kept sending messages but I also kept getting e-mails saying I had duplicated my questions

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
That's ok, you were making duplicates, but I closed them to bring you back to this original one (so you didn't pay twice).

No problem at all Terry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks again and have a good day